Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #3241
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
thanks. skimming through that article, i saw one graph that showed some ultraviolet light produced and then towards the end i read that LEDs do not produce UV. anyone get something different from that?

Old 12-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #3242
Aquarium Advice Freak

It may be that the leds hit the wavelength of uv light but no adverse radiation??? No clue just a thought.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #3243
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
the wavelength is what makes it damaging. light is a particle and the wavelength makes it penetrate through further than most things we have floating around us.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #3244
Aquarium Advice Freak

I believe the radion has a few in that wavelength and isn't that considered the best one out there? Also the newest ai sol coming out is also going to have them and the top of the line custom builds are also having them? I think that is enough proof to say that someone is on to something with it? Just a thought?
Old 12-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #3245
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Carey, how is it going with the ATO? I feel like I go through more water then when I did it daily, do you? It is nice to have more stability with salinity!
Old 12-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #3246
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I absolutely LOVE it. lol I can't believe I was lugging all that water twice a day. It's the opposite for me though, it felt like I was adding more water before I got it. It could be the 10g tank I have for the reservoir too, only needs filling like once a week if that.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #3247
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm considering getting an ATO with my 30 gal. I'm away for two and three days at a time at work (Firefighter) and was thinking it would be a good idea and keep my lovely wife from having to worry about it!

I also just installed a controller, for the same reason, and LOVE it!

Mike
Old 12-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #3248
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Which controller did you get? Some have modules for an ATO like the reefkeeper. i am hoping to get the reefkeeper for this tank for christmas. Fingers crossed! Then I will move the JBJ ATO over to the 90g.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #3249
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I absolutely LOVE it. lol I can't believe I was lugging all that water twice a day. It's the opposite for me though, it felt like I was adding more water before I got it. It could be the 10g tank I have for the reservoir too, only needs filling like once a week if that.
I have a 5 gal bucket but only put about 2 at a time, that's probably my problem, lol! Going to do a 10 gal with the new tank.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #3250
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi Carey,

I have the Neptune Apex and have to say my initial impression is very positive. I easily plugged it in to my network and can know access my tanks controls and monitoring from the internet via my computer, iPad or iPhone. Awesome!

I've done a lot of research on the ATO's and even emailed Neptune, which by the way have been great in answering all of my questions and providing me instruction to get some things dialed in properly! I even had Curt return an email to me at 9pm, something I never expected.

With a breakout box, I can wire a couple of inexpensive switches and program an outlet to control a pump in a supply to keep the tank filled. I keep going back to the Tunze model for a couple of reasons. It is an all in one package, so it will save me time and effort, and I'm sure mistakes, in getting it done the right way. If I go that direction, I'll program the controller to only turn on the ATO four times a day for a limited time. That way, I can avoid accidentally overflowing the tank in the event of a switch failure.

Anyway, I really hope that Santa brings you that Reef Keeper for Christmas!

Mike

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com