Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #3321
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
Awesome I'm in Maryland. Bout 20 mins from DC
Not so awesome is the 9 hour drive and the fact that I told my husband that "it is no problem to move the fish." I need to figure out how to do that But yes, I love DC. We lived there about 10 years ago and it was great! Where in MD do you live? We're currently looking for great areas to rent in... and, of course, I'll need the scoop on where the good lfs are at

Old 01-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #3322
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTrash View Post
Do you add anything? I read about it and noted some stuff about trace elements and strontinum. I don't want to kill it, but I don't want to overdo it either

I don't add anything I don't test for, good rule to follow.

I tried dosing with kalk for a bit but it wasnt cutting it. I've been doing frequent massive water changes in the meantime to keep my calcium and alkalinty up. I plan on starting a dosing regimen for two part soon but thats only because of all the coral I have so you wont have to worry about it for a bit. Just do your water changes, don't overfeed or overstock and your corals and fish will thrive.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #3323
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTrash

Not so awesome is the 9 hour drive and the fact that I told my husband that "it is no problem to move the fish." I need to figure out how to do that But yes, I love DC. We lived there about 10 years ago and it was great! Where in MD do you live? We're currently looking for great areas to rent in... and, of course, I'll need the scoop on where the good lfs are at
I live in bowie md. A good LFS is House of Tropicals and a Petco in annapolis
Old 01-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #3324
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I don't add anything I don't test for, good rule to follow.
Okay. Well, I have the standard tests (ammonium, nitrate, nitrite, pH, and phosphor). I just received an iodine test kit as I've lost two crabs during molting. When I went to my lfs today I asked about a package of test kits for mag, alkalinity and calcium. They told me that I didn't need it. I can't figure out if they're just not taking me seriously (I'm a woman and blonde - a bad mix if you want people to take you seriously I've found), or if they were simply being honest. Your take?
Old 01-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #3325
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Once you start getting more corals you might want to look into those kits. Calcium you might wanna have either way as well as a phosphate kit. magnesium, calcium and alkalinity are all tied into each other and very important with corals. It can be a balancing act if you have corals consuming the elements before you replenish them with water changes.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #3326
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Once you start getting more corals you might want to look into those kits. Calcium you might wanna have either way as well as a phosphate kit. magnesium, calcium and alkalinity are all tied into each other and very important with corals. It can be a balancing act if you have corals consuming the elements before you replenish them with water changes.
10-4. Going to the lfs today for a new turbosnail as my other one committed suicide behind the protein skimmer. I'll get the calcium test kit then. Also noticed that a couple of the candycane heads had their feeding tentacles out this morning. Hope that is a good sign . Need to figure out whether or no to spot feed it.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #3327
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTrash

10-4. Going to the lfs today for a new turbosnail as my other one committed suicide behind the protein skimmer. I'll get the calcium test kit then. Also noticed that a couple of the candycane heads had their feeding tentacles out this morning. Hope that is a good sign . Need to figure out whether or no to spot feed it.
I never spot feed mine. I usually just broadcast feed with phyto
Old 01-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #3328
Aquarium Advice Freak

But you also have a ginormous tank with some ridiculous corals . I'll have to spot feed my two teeny corals for now
Old 01-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #3329
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've been a busy little bee this morning. I just killed a credit card to order a boatload of stuff from petsolutions LOL

I ordered a mag 18 drive for the return when I upgrade this 125g this year, figured now while I have the money available I should start gathering my build stuff. Also got a silicate test, trying ti figure out if the pool silter sand is the reason for some diatoms that come and go in this tank. Got a new frag rack, some frag plugs, a bucket of red sea salt, gonna try that salt and see how it does. Also got a backup aqualifter for the overflow just in case, some ph calibration fluid for my ph probe on the 125g, a foam filter to put in my sump for an emergency qt tank if I need it. I also finally got the current light hanging mount for the new 60g I'm building next. hard to see almost $400 go by but this is stuff I know I will need in the short and long term.

Which if course brings me to a question as ususal! hehe
Will a mag 18 be enough flow for a dual overflow drilled 180 or 220 tank? I plan on getting rid of my refugium in the sump and going berlin method so the increased flow would be good right? I hope to get a 180 tank for this tank's upgrade, might even go to 220g if the tank is nice and the price is right. lol

So what do you think guys, is a mag 18 gonna be good enough for the return pump?
Old 01-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #3330
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I've been a busy little bee this morning. I just killed a credit card to order a boatload of stuff from petsolutions LOL

I ordered a mag 18 drive for the return when I upgrade this 125g this year, figured now while I have the money available I should start gathering my build stuff. Also got a silicate test, trying ti figure out if the pool silter sand is the reason for some diatoms that come and go in this tank. Got a new frag rack, some frag plugs, a bucket of red sea salt, gonna try that salt and see how it does. Also got a backup aqualifter for the overflow just in case, some ph calibration fluid for my ph probe on the 125g, a foam filter to put in my sump for an emergency qt tank if I need it. I also finally got the current light hanging mount for the new 60g I'm building next. hard to see almost $400 go by but this is stuff I know I will need in the short and long term.

Which if course brings me to a question as ususal! hehe
Will a mag 18 be enough flow for a dual overflow drilled 180 or 220 tank? I plan on getting rid of my refugium in the sump and going berlin method so the increased flow would be good right? I hope to get a 180 tank for this tank's upgrade, might even go to 220g if the tank is nice and the price is right. lol

So what do you think guys, is a mag 18 gonna be good enough for the return pump?
That's what's in mine!!!

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com