Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #3541
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm using t5's over this tank, 6 on each side so I think the light should be sufficent if not too much. I know I have trouble with zooas under the lights, just can't seem to keep them long term. :-(

I'm running led's over my new tank so I hope to see the comparison between them.

ALSO!! woot woot!! I have a reef clube friend coming by with a par meter tonight so I will be measuring all the tanks with each type of lighting. Should be really interesting.

on that note, how many readings should I take per tank do you guys think? I know I want a sandbed number but then what? Halfway and right under the water? I have a tape measure handy too so I figured I'd measure and take notes.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #3542
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm at ten on each side(39's), Nd I have the same prob with zoos. I can keep them for a couple years, but they never really seem to do that well, slow growth at best, most slowly dwindle till they're gone. Placement doesn't seem to matter either, high /mid/ low. Pretty universal result, now I just avoid them for the most part.
Can't wait to here your PAR results, I think high/ mid/ low readings is a great idea, with distance to the fixture.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #3543
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok so three measurements as far as distance. Do you think I should take readings with the whites only on, then blue only on and then with both going? Or is that going overboard? LOL

I was thinking of making a chart in excel so when the people come by later I am ready and it wont take that long, they are doing me a huge favor by coming over and using the par meter. I wanna get the most information I can but don't want to intrude too much on their time. I also have 6 tanks I wanted to get readings on. LOL I figure it will be a good comaprison tool for members on the forum.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #3544
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, I see what your saying. 6 tanks, at 3 distances, and 3 lighting scenarios for each ( blue, white, both). Lots of measurements!
How many different types of lighting do you have? Know you've got T5, LED,.... MH and CFL's too? If so, def be a great reference for everyone here,
Maybe just take various readings on each of the lighting types represented( like above), and any duplicate lighting you have(ie the other T'5's), just take what personal readings you want on that specific tank. Just a thought!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #3545
Aquarium Advice Addict

I bet everyone will be in awe when they see your tanks!

Good luck tonight!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #3546
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Now I'm excited to see the results as being someone who went from 4 T5HO to dual Radion LEDs.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #3547
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I currently have the following lighting fixtures up and running

125- current Nove extreme pro 12 bulb with all new ATI bulbs
90- odyssea fixture with individual reflectors and old ati bulbs
20g rimless- a fish needit fixture with stock bulbs
29g biocube stock lighting
60g rimless cube with the LED light panels that everyone has on the forum lol
10g with 2 stock squiggly bulbs

I'd love to see what the numbers are on the fishneedit light since I recommend it to alot of people and the 10g would be a good base number so when people wanna start a tank with the bare basics they can know the actual numbers.

About a half hour and they will be here. Cant wait to see one of these things in action. lol

Also, as far as fish news in general over here, I am fish sitting a single b&w clown fish. My friends bought a used setup from CL and couldn't put the clown in with their trigger and the new setup isn't ready for them to use so I volunteered to watch him. LOL I have 2 empty tanks that are for sale so now I have a very hyper clown in my biocube by himself.

Thats it for now I guess, I will make a thread if I get enough information and post later.

Thanks for following guys.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #3548
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's so cool! One of my fixtures is the 12 bulb Nova, also with new ATI's.( blue plus/blue special).
Can't wait to see your results!!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #3549
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool, i'm sure the numbers will be interesting.

LOL, instead of baby-sitting you are fish sitting. I wish some of my friends kept SW tanks! I have gotten two to get fish, but their just FW. Oh well, LOL.
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #3550
Aquarium Advice Addict

Got any pics of your blue reef chromis? I just ordered 3 from LA.

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com