Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #3611
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
I have never seen anything like that cephastrea before. Not even on LA. Are they hard to care for? So cool looking, like little volcanos. While I'm on my court trip to Baltimore on Monday, I'm hoping to come home with something cool like that.
Go to house of tropical! Awesome coral and fish. #1 LFS in MD and check out Today's Pet. They've got bad fish selection but real cheap coral and healthy frags.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:48 AM   #3612
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
Besides wanting to see the new corals, whats the update on this upcoming last of the last last new tanks? Is there a 200 coming your way or not?

In terms of lighting, go with how Kio hung her new lights. I'm actually realy jealous of it. My radions are hanging...but they are far from straight. If I could build a canopy I would totally hook it up like she did and maybe rubberize or seal the metal L brackets holding up the lights.
Kio is a he... Lol

Old 06-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #3613
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kio707

Kio is a he... Lol
Haha that's what i thought too.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #3614
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

Go to house of tropical! Awesome coral and fish. #1 LFS in MD and check out Today's Pet. They've got bad fish selection but real cheap coral and healthy frags.
House of Tropicals is fantastic and they have a huge selection in salt you just have to look
I always happen to get there when there's a new shipment in lol
Old 06-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #3615
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got curious about what they looked like. They are awesome and alot of varieties also. If I looked at the right ones, you can get them at Vivid Aquariums.com

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #3616
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

So a quick update on how this tank is going.

All the fish are fat and healthy and doing well. The corals have been hit or miss. An entire head fell off of my torch coral but the rest looks fine. Also having some trouble with zooa's, I've been slowly moving the corals with issues over to the 60g tank where i can keep a closer eye on them.

Not sure if the bio pellet reactor has anything to do with the coral troubles and it doesn't seem to be working if at all as far as nitrates. I have noticed my phosphates have gone down but not really the nitrates. I think I will give it another month and call it a day with the pellets. lol

I am also infested with aiptasia in my sump and overflow. I mean really really bad. The overflow is almost clogged with them so I will have to do a major project and re do all the plumbing soon as i am sure they are in the pipes as well which I won't be able to get to. I have a boatload of them in my refugium and on the rocks in there so I figured I'd give my copperband a treat. lol I moved one rock with 6 on it to the main tank and got out my camera. Didn't hit record until like the 3rd aiptasia but you can see how quick she was in munching them. Even the big one on the top of the white rock. You can even see in the beginning how big a couple were but she ate them like a champ!

here is the like 30 second video of the aiptasia eating spree.

Copperband VS. Aiptasias - YouTube
Old 07-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #3617
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hahah AWESOME carey! Happy the tank is doing well! Keep up the great work! Ha, you should rent our that amazing fish to other people with an alistia problem!! Lol
Old 07-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #3618
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Why not throw a peppermint in your sump? My sump has two peppermints and 2 turbos.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #3619
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Haven't updated this tank in awhile so figured I';d let you guys know whats been going on.

I had another chromis jump about a week ago so now I have 2 left. :-( Am planning on ordering 6 more this week though so I can have a proper school. lol
I also emptied the refugium of the rock and macro, it hasnt been growing or doing anything but taking up room so it's gone. I moved the skimmer into the middle section now which makes the input section so much easier to work with. I also took down the biopellet reactor, after about 5 months all I noticed was a slight decrease in phosphates which I can get with regular gfo running so thats the plan on that. Also makes the power cord situation underneath alot neater, no more fuge light and no pump for the biopellets.

I have also moved out most of the more difficult corals over to my 60g. Going forward I am gonna stick to easy guys and larger specimens, I'd like to concentrate more on fish in this tank now. So I have maybe 15 corals left in the tank, mostly big ones so it doesnt look too too empty. lol

So, on my to get list of fish I think i will add the 6 chromis and then maybe next month add two more female anthias for my male squareback. I swear the anthias' are more active than the tangs. LOL I am also thinking of adding another tang but no where close to picking one so it'll be awhile.

Thanks everyone who has followed this thread, I appreciate it and hope that it has been somewhat helpful to you guys.

Once I get everything squared away i will take some new videos of the re arranged tank and it's new inhabitants.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #3620
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry about the chromis, Carey! But it sounds like its doing good other than that.

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com