Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will for sure look for them again when I go back, thanks for the info. My pico doesn't have the light for a nem does it? 26w

yep. the branches of the kenya tree will fall off and blow around and attach everywhere and anywhere. they shold have paid you to take it!
let me give you some advice that will save you a lot of aggravation- only buy the nicest corals. stuff that you think is amazing looking. do not buy brown corals, unless you know for a fact they are going to color up into something else. it's been my experience, that the brown, unattractive, corals are the ones that grow in a plague-like manner. you'll end up selling off rocks or trading them to the LFS for clean ones. been there, done that!
according to popular stock lists, there is only 1 red, knobby star. that's what i go by.

ahh so maybe i made a tiny error in my coral selection. lol I just hear about them and they look pretty neat so I figured I'd try it in the pico. I actually like the brown corals a bit, and youre right, they are the known plague in tanks usually now that I think about it.

I meant that there is also a red thorny starfish as well as a knobby. Apparently they have different scientific names as well. :)
Least that's what I've gathered since I got him and have been going mad about researching the situation. The lfs guy said he'd be glad to take him back if I had any problem with it so maybe I will consider that. he is just so pretty though!~

ahh so maybe i made a tiny error in my coral selection. lol I just hear about them and they look pretty neat so I figured I'd try it in the pico. I actually like the brown corals a bit, and youre right, they are the known plague in tanks usually now that I think about it.
~

You won't like the brown dull corals for long! I realized after a few years that it's not worth getting the ugly corals, they just take up room haha I liked my kenya at first too, until it started dropping like 10 arms every day (and I only had two small pieces!). It got removed from all my tanks after that, I didn't want to risk it. I saw a tank brought into my LFS once, a small biocube maybe the 8 gallon and there was literally no water room in the tank. The kenya had grown right to the surface, couldn't see any other fish or rock in the tank, just kenya.

I'm having some concerns about my Tang. I've put out seaweed, algae and a macro and I haven't seen her eat yet. She does peck at the rocks constantly but I don't really have much algae. :-( I have some base rock in there that has a light green tinge to it, is that enough algae for her to eat for now?

Thanks...

May still be stressed and not comfortable with the surroundings. I wouldn't worry just yet, all the parameters are still good correct?

Yep, ammonia disappeared a few days and 0 on tites and trate. ph is at 8.3 salinity at 1.026 ( little higher than my usual 1.025) but other than that all is well.

She seems very happy now, at first she wouldnt even come out when i got close tot he tank, now she sits and looks at me. :) Then continues swimming on her merry way.

She hasn't eaten any frozen foods yet? Was she eating at the store?

You might also need to rub the algae into the water so it breaks into little chunks and floats around, most new tangs are too scared to nibble at it off of the clip.

It took about 4 or 5 times of hanging a piece of algae before my powder blue went near it. He seems to realluly enjoy when I feed emerald entree: a nutritious omnivorous formula.

On the subject of tangs, how many can go in a 125g do you think? I wanted to add a yellow tang and blue atlantic tang to the yellow eye Kole tang I have. BUT I saw a baby scopas tang today and I so want it! LOL

I'm gonna start to move the livestock today, hopefully it goes smoothly, I know my goby and blenny are not going to be happy....I'm gonna have to empty the tank to get everyone out. Fun Fun

You should not get a scopas tang and a yellow tang, they will fight.

Yellow tang - Zebrasoma flavescens
family: Acanthuridae

Scopas tang - Zebrasoma scopas
Family: Acanthuridae

Sorry :(

ahh ok. Thanks for the heads up. What about tomini or yellow shoulder tangs?

I have no idea what families can get along lol

carey said:

Sounds like the mob....lol. my yellow nd my royal tang wouldn't eat off the clip at first either. Took the yellow a couple days and once he started, the royal follwed suit....

I generally go by the scientific name, if its similar then they won't get along. Family I think doesn't matter too much since I just looked and so far every tang I look at is from the Acanthuridae family haha so disregard that!

Edit* Also if they are similar colors and body shape then they are less likely to get along.

Yea, A purple tang and yellow tang would definitely fight for example. They literally look exactly the same, just with different colors.

I think a naso would get along with a kole tang. They look quite dissimilar and a kole tang is Ctenochaetus strigosus while a naso is Naso lituratus. Too bad the tank is too small, they're really cool fish.

Would a Scopas really fight with a Kole? They don't look similar at all and belong to different genii

Back
Top Bottom