Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL. Here are some pics, not too great.

The empty 55g
img_1393949_0_6be63b751552a9f893a533cbe9aa9f09.jpg

img_1393949_1_e1df3bc15a070925fb6d256c3969dcd4.jpg

img_1393949_2_d88dcae393d3f99f58ebd7791c657f5b.jpg

img_1393949_3_0dd19227c5071b3d4052cb1a36ba5a48.jpg

Looks really goood!

I just spent like two hours catching my little dusky wrasse in my nano!! I took out all the rock and my tank was so stirred up and dirty and then he went in the sand! I gave up and put everything back and moved my xenia a bit and pop there he was! Got him in the large tank and I think everyone likes him so far. I did one water change but I'm going to do another tonight, my poor other fish still in the tank haha.

....edit.... this also means I have room for another fish in my nano possibly :) excitinggg :D

Last edited:
Check out "Matt's 700 gallon natural sunlight system" by StripesTheEel...I figured that would give you some inspiration...or you might just pass out! I dunno...but I'm curious what you think :)

Thanks hack. :)

I don't think its too bad for a start. Took forever to get all that rock in there, prob 200lbs by now lol

Now I'm juts waiting for my new overflow to come today. I got eh continous siphon one since I can't seem to keep both tubes going in the tank now. I'm hoping the new overflow will help. :)

Thanks lefty! I love the star too, i've always wanted one. As a side note about the star, hasn't even come close to any corals yet and it has moved over some snails on the glass so I guess he didn't wanna eat it. lol

carey said:
Thanks lefty! I love the star too, i've always wanted one. As a side note about the star, hasn't even come close to any corals yet and it has moved over some snails on the glass so I guess he didn't wanna eat it. lol

That's great!!

Another silly question, but how do I feed the 125g? I always shut the flow down so I could feed in the 55g, the clowns are really spazzy and the goby is really really slow. lol

I used to use 2 frozen cubes for both cube and 55g and split it out so I could feed the cube 3x a day and the 55 twice. Now with all the flow a half cube was just sucked up by all the water volume and disappeared.

I ended up shutting down the left side power head and used my squirt feeder to get some near the goby, he didnt get much, again just too much water. LOL

Any comments welcomed, I'm new to this big tank. The cichlid 125g is easy peasy since the fish come to me. Not like that in the reef tank. :-(

yah I think he should get more comfortable too, I usually just feed my big tank one or two cubes and let is disperse everywhere and I think that way everyone gets a little. It is kind of annoying cause quite a bit goes into the overflow but It's too much of a hassle to turn off the pumps in the tank, I'd have to turn off the wave maker too cause it splashes water over the overflow even if the pump is off.

Do you thaw it first? I put the cube in a container with RO water and then turkey Bastet to put it in the tank, it seems to spread out better for me that way.

Wow, one or two cubes? LOL

I must be a stingy feeder. Maybe that's why i generally have 0 nitrates? hehee...

I defrost the cube in a dixie cup then feed usually. The goby comes right up to the turkey baster usually. I guess they are all still acclimating. I didn't move over the cuc though so I'm hesitant to overfeed, in my cube the scraps are gone within 5 minutes i have so many.

So far I think I have 5 cerith snails and 3 hermits. I'm planning on adding 40 nasarrious and 10 scarlet hermits next week and 10 blue legged ones.

That's kinds light cuc for a 125 isn't it? I still have the sea hare and lawnmower blenny so I never have algae issues. Oh, I just don't know....rofl

Back
Top Bottom