Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RandJ you are best to put a Y on your return pump and have at least one side of the Y all the way open (probably the one going up) and then you open the other side until you reach the desired flow rate... or you start with them both open and you close the "sump return" until the "tank return" is at the right flow rate. It's better for the pump that way... but If Leo has a way to increase your overflow rate and you want more flow in your tank (most tanks do) you should do that first and then if you still need to slow down the flow to your tank, you should try my suggestion.

lol i have no way to increase flow, maybe get bigger bulkheads or just get a smaller pump

How do I adjust the flow rate of my overflow though? Thats what has me stumped.

isn't there an adjustment of the height of the overflow? if i've read right all HOB overflows have a eight control to increase and decrease the flow rates

Oh Ok. LOl I thought there was some way to increase the flow from the overflow. I have dual 1" hoses running from it. It's just that when i was running a single overflow tube I had the return pump at the same throttle position that it is at with the duals running.

do you have one hose flowing from the overflow to the sump? if so wat size is it, that migh be at its max flow capacity which would be why the return is still at the same setting

then i'm just as stumped as you are, unless the return isn't letting out enough flow and the waterlevel in the overflow is staying low resulting in less of a siphon

The level in the overflow is low and the hoses are a tad too long.....could this affect the flow? Should I get 2ft hoses?

the length of the hose won't have much to do wit hthe flow, if they are clear rubber you could just cut them to length. but i think the height of the water would make a difference

I think I'll add some water to the DT. It's just barely flowing into the overflow box. Just don't wanna add too much in case of a power outage.

So I made my shopping list for liveaqauria :)
I plan on ordering all this next week. I will order my anthias' and caribbean blue at a later date. here is what I have so far:

barnacle Blenny- for the pico
clown goby- pico
3 sexy shrimp- pico
2 cleaner shrimp- 125g
green mushroom coral- 125g
Midas blenny- 125g
yellow tang- 125g
tomini tang- 125g
feather duster- 125g

This order comes out to $226 so I get free shipping.

The only fish after this that i need will be the anthias 4 females, 1 male for the 125g and the ORA mandarin for the cube.

Anyone see any issue with getting this much livestock at once? I'm guessing I'm gonna be acclimating like crazy.

I'm now shopping on bluezooaquatics and they have free shippinbg for $140 and over! Fish are about the same price too, some they don't have either like the pacific blue tang.

I have all weekend to decide who to order from. Bluezoo has some real nice corals too!

I plan on 4 total. I have the Kole already, just need to order the yellow, tomini and blue caribbean. I'm pricing them right now LOL I hope to order for next week sometime.

I'm very excited!

I'm very happy to report i added some water tot he tank and now the flow into the sump is too much kinda, but now my return pump isn't as restricted as before.

I've been working on stocking all day and I think I'm close. I haven't decided if I'm gonna order from bluezoo, LA or petsolutions. Every one has all the fish but one in each case, so it's a matter of which company emails me first i guess.

The big question now is how many fish can i have? Here is my updated list with a new addition

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Blue Reef Chromis

So I want the stocking to be:

2 b&w clowns
1 pink spotted goby
1 lawnmower Blenny
1 Royal gramma
1 yellow eye Kole tang
1 Atlantic blue tang
1 yellow tang
1 tomini tang
4- anthias
4- blue chromis

What do you think? too much huh? I figure that most of the fish i never see so I'd like some active fish.

I think that looks fine, i think i tend to overstock myself though haha! It going to be so nice and colorful :)

Ps my LFS told me today that there is a guy who has a 120 gallon tank with 8 tangs! He just added a black tang and is now looking to get rid of his sohal tang since they don't get along.

Wow, that's alot of tangs, even for me! LOL

Cool, I will probably add the anthias and chromis last, in a few weeks I'd guess. :)

So long as the tangs have no problems with each other that sounds like a nice stocking. What would you consider the center piece fish in that group? The carribean blue?

Back
Top Bottom