Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
img_1396265_0_c27c8acd9240f0a3f141a53512ccc61f.jpg

img_1396265_1_c6fa9ebe39612502cef5c5195428f750.jpg

img_1396265_2_be5bc5db1088034ef869c28f3bced044.jpg

In your last picture what is that against the back wall? It looks like it is under your powerhead. Is it different kind of powerhead?

i use an old mag float as an algae clip.
btw, as long as you make sure a good amount of food makes it to the bottom, you should not have a lot of dead nassarius.
as for increasing the CUC as the bio load increases, you need to remove nutrients from the tank. it's a sealed system. you can't get things that eat waste to help, because they just crap it out as well. you have to completely (manually) remove it. you can run an algae free tank without a single snail or crab. i've done it.

i use an old mag float as an algae clip.
btw, as long as you make sure a good amount of food makes it to the bottom, you should not have a lot of dead nassarius.
as for increasing the CUC as the bio load increases, you need to remove nutrients from the tank. it's a sealed system. you can't get things that eat waste to help, because they just crap it out as well. you have to completely (manually) remove it. you can run an algae free tank without a single snail or crab. i've done it.

but the don't crap it all out, they still use that as food and nourishment. they crap out the stuff that their body doesn't need, just like any other living organism. they probably use 75% of the foo and crap out the rest. i see your point but the waste is less with a higher clean up crew mainly detritus eaters not specificly algae grazers, but those grazers help keep things clean looking

75%? i read that fish poop is made up of more food than waste. it's probably 75% in the foods favor, not the waste.
detritus is made up of protein, complex carbohydrate, sugars, etc. all things you don't want in your tank. you still have to manually remove waste on a regular basis or your tank will crash, no matter how many crabs you have.

I have a new question about my filter sock. I have a double wide sock which the two overflow hoses go through. If I adjust the water to it's maximum flow the sock overflows. :-(

Can I somehow make it so it's 2 separate socks or am I stuck with the one double? I have one xtra sock btw, costs $11 each online and more locally.

Any suggestions or ideas?

do you have a pic of it? filter socks need to be changed out often, by often i mean on a weekly or bi weekly basis. most that use them keep a few sets and re wash themwhile they have the other socks in place

I'll post a picture in a bit.

I'm going to go get a tang today!!! Can't wait! Gonna get a yellow one and maybe a mandarin if I have enough nerve.

Also gonna see if I can order the tomini or the caribbean one as well. Maybe get them next week. :)

carey said:
I'll post a picture in a bit.

I'm going to go get a tang today!!! Can't wait! Gonna get a yellow one and maybe a mandarin if I have enough nerve.

Also gonna see if I can order the tomini or the caribbean one as well. Maybe get them next week. :)

Carey,this maybe a stupid question,but are you sure your 125 gallon tank has completely cycled?
Plus don't you think you need to get all your sump and filter issues worked out before adding so much livestock.I would hate to later see the Tank C-word.

Remember patience is a must in Saltwater.

Carey,this maybe a stupid question,but are you sure your 125 gallon tank has completely cycled?
Plus don't you think you need to get all your sump and filter issues worked out before adding so much livestock.I would hate to later see the Tank C-word.

Remember patience is a must in Saltwater.

I'm pretty confident. :) I had a slight ammonia spike a few days in and since then it's been all clear. I added the livestock from the 55 on Thursday and since then no changes in parameters.

I'm still tweaking the sump and the flow, but otherwise everything is working fine, the skimmer is actually breaking in quicker than I thought it would. lol

Back
Top Bottom