Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I meant I wouldn't flush the tuna down the toilet...the reason I said to burn or bury it is because the tang is too big to flush, and she doesn't want it sitting in her garbage til Tuesday...I don't have a problem flushing fish...
lol...roger that.

Thanks guys. i appreciate the thought. I'm still so stunned. I just got him last thursday and no other fish seem to be bothered. The anthias is hiding alot but I don't think it likes the flow plus it's said they aren't a high light type of fish until fully acclimated.

If I turn off the pumps and sump every fish starts swimming everywhere, it's truly very cool.

Going forward I was gonna downgrade my 2 koralia 1400's back to my 2 koralia 750's. Is that too little flow? I also have the 1000gph apprx return going too.

I'm so trying to distract myself from the tang. I don't think I can take care of the remains myself, luckily my b/f just got home so I'll ask him to do it. :-(

It most likely was nothing you did wrong. And you did every thing you could to save him. I killed a whole tank (14 fish) by cleaning both of my cannisters on the same day and basically killing off my BB. I couldnt have felt worse if I killed one of my dogs. It was a horrible day. It will get better and you will move on. You didn't do anything wrong.

carey said:
Thanks guys. i appreciate the thought. I'm still so stunned. I just got him last thursday and no other fish seem to be bothered. The anthias is hiding alot but I don't think it likes the flow plus it's said they aren't a high light type of fish until fully acclimated.

If I turn off the pumps and sump every fish starts swimming everywhere, it's truly very cool.

Going forward I was gonna downgrade my 2 koralia 1400's back to my 2 koralia 750's. Is that too little flow? I also have the 1000gph apprx return going too.

I'm so trying to distract myself from the tang. I don't think I can take care of the remains myself, luckily my b/f just got home so I'll ask him to do it. :-(

You may have to strong a flow from what you are saying.I have four anthias under 2 250MH and they were out all the time from day one.

I would try reducing flow.

As many jokes as I made trying to cheer you up carey ..im very sorry for you lost.

Sorry to hear about your tang. I have been following the updates, unfortunately, I am so new to this hobby I couldn't offer any advice. If there is one thing I do know...its how you feel.

You guys have all cheered me up so much. I was beyond devastated earlier. I'm still just trying to figure it out and have been watching the other fish like a hawk.

I think I will not be adding another tang. I just don't have the heart to do it. I might consider a caribbean blue, but only a large and healthy one that I would qt.

Theres a lesson in EVERY event, this one is to qt. So far the anthias I got the same day is fine, if not a little shy. He was in a separate filtration system so maybe he is safe. I don't know what happened, one day he was fine and bright yellow, the next day all brown and dead.

If it was a coral what kind could do that kind of damage to him? I mean if he got stung, wouldnt he move and not continue to get stung? Or maybe the stress and all got him in the end.

If anyone saw any of the pictures and has any ideas what could have caused the death please feel free to share. Not sure if I could get another one if I didn't somewhat have an idea of what went wrong this time.

Can you considered some kind of rigging system to help lift the light so no matter what you can get into the tank? Just my thought but I wouldn't want to wait for someone to have to some 15 minutes to help in an emergency.

PistolPete said:
Can you considered some kind of rigging system to help lift the light so no matter what you can get into the tank? Just my thought but I wouldn't want to wait for someone to have to some 15 minutes to help in an emergency.

I was actually thinking about doing the same thing to mine. Using some kind of pulley system or electric winch to raise the lights up. I can move mine by myself but its a pain to do so everytime I need to get in there. I will let you know if I come up with anything.

I went to homedepot and got some 15" planter hangers, each one was rated for like 25 lbs. Then I went to the wire section and got metal wire and fasteners.

I then was able to hang the light from the wall and not on the tank at all, so I can get in there easy.

I can send pics if you want to see. It might work for your fixture. It cost me under $30. The 15" put the lights in the middle of the tank from the wall.

Thats a great idea lefty. Would you mind posting a picture? That would make it complete in my mind. lol

I would probably need 3 or 4 hangers i would guess, its 6 feet long. It also has fasteners on the top so i could suspend them from the ceiling, but I have vaulted ceilings and its about 15 feet or more at the highest apex.

Here they are, hope it helps! Let me know if you need a better shot or for me to email you them.

Attachments

• image-1132460930.jpg
    image-1132460930.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 163
  • image-1389509006.jpg
    image-1389509006.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 159
Ahhh I get it now. Seeing is understanding. I just measured and I would need the hangers to come out 17 inches from the wall to hang it.

I have the 18 inch on the tank and I have the tank about 7 inches from the wall in case I need to get back there. lol I planned for that possibility at least.

You may want to check out the closet/shelf department, they had 18" shelf brackets, you can even put a shelf above it if you want. I hope this works for you, it is actually great having the light off the tank.

Back
Top Bottom