Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2011, 12:53 AM   #791
Aquarium Advice Addict

well carey, no choice left
throw that tang in there
:P

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:53 AM   #792
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks really nice carey!

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #793
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulweck View Post
hey carey how are u making out with the pool filter sand do like it?

I think the PFS was a good buy. I like the texture and it doesn't blow around as easy as some other sands I've had.

The only thing that stinks is one of the bags had darker sand so now the far right corner of my tank is darker on the sandbed. LOL I've been trying to mix it in with the other sand, but it's really deep and I have small arms.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:34 AM   #794
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete View Post
I don't think you should get a spike from the rock if it was out of the water for a short period of time... I have taken mine out for 20 minutes at a times to chip away rock (to make my arch more profound) and everything was okay when I returned it

It looks like I may have a spike after all. Just tested and it looks like ammonia is slighty green tinted in the vial. I have no trites or trates as far as the API test can tell. I may just test with the salifert to see if its just a tiny amt of trates.

I want some nitrates don't I? I'm not sure where the die off came from, maybe I took longer with some rocks than I thought. :-(
Old 06-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #795
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok so I'm messing with the sump today and figured I'd show a picture. I have the water level pretty high but only to cover the return pump intake and the skimmer intake. It looks like the refugium part stays full no matter what.

Do I have enough or too much water in there? I could probably lower the water level an inch or two. I also haven't added any sand or LR to the center section yet so I'm guessing that displacement will raise the water even more.

The only thing we haven't done yet is fake a power outage. If the power goes off does the overflow keep it's siphon? I mean after the water goes below the teeth on the overflow, will the water still in the tubes and overflow box be enough to keep the siphon going for when the power goes back on?

And if not, are there any easy ways to start a siphon real quick other than the airline tubing in the curve of the u pipe?

Old 06-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #796
Aquarium Advice Freak

WOW!! Great tank with so many possibilities. Nice job with the layout too. I love the size. Perfect for the tang...

<'}}}-<
Old 06-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #797
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
The purpose of an overflow is to break syphon so youd have to start it again
Old 06-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #798
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crabs View Post
WOW!! Great tank with so many possibilities. Nice job with the layout too. I love the size. Perfect for the tang...

<'}}}-<

Thanks so much! Yep, this tank was done with the sole purpose of putting in Tangs. LOL And of course more livestock! Can't wait to start stocking, or at least moving over my current fish and corals. Poor things are gonna be lost in that tank.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #799
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm trying to setup my skimmer but it's giving me grief. Keeps overflowing....It's an eshopps psk 150. I've been messing with the flow adjustor to no avail...Overflows the cup in about 15 seconds or less
Old 06-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #800
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I'm trying to setup my skimmer but it's giving me grief. Keeps overflowing....It's an eshopps psk 150. I've been messing with the flow adjustor to no avail...Overflows the cup in about 15 seconds or less

Just let it run like that for awhile, it takes a couple weeks to break them in. Is the skimmer in the center part?? Cause the water does look high in there, only because the plastic separators look kind of high, if it is in there you could place an ice cream bucket or something underneath to raise the skimmer, make sure to do the same for the skimmer pump.

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com