Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #801
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The skimmer is in the first compartment with the filter sock. The water in the center stays that high in comparison to the return pump section. The inlet section is also pretty high too. We haven't done a sample lights out yet, hopefully it won't overflow the sump.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #802
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
The skimmer is in the first compartment with the filter sock. The water in the center stays that high in comparison to the return pump section. The inlet section is also pretty high too. We haven't done a sample lights out yet, hopefully it won't overflow the sump.

Oh okay so yah just try raising the skimmer by placing something underneath, keeping the pump at the same height. If the water level is too high they will overflow.

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #803
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hmm I already have the skimmer in there and can't get it back out LOL. I did get a little platform with the sump, guess i should have put that in when I had the chance.

What do I do now?
Old 06-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #804
Aquarium Advice Addict

the water lever in the refugium part will always be high, the baffles keep the lever high so they over flow int the return section, thats where i should be lower
Old 06-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #805
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

What do you think i should do about the skimmer issue leo?

The water in the return section is def alot lower than the refugium part. About 2 inches from the intake on the pump.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #806
Aquarium Advice Addict

thats a good thin'g though, so when there is a power outage the siphon will break and the water will fall back down to fill that section so the whole sump doesn't over flow.

i've seen alot of sumps build an egg crate stand to raise the skimmer if its to low, the icecream container would work too though, and is a common household item, where as not many people have egg crates kicking around
Old 06-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #807
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can you manage to get anything underneath the skimmer? Take a picture of it in there pls, that might help.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #808
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

here you go, the section with the skimmer is behind a support beam so I took it from both ends. It's too tall for me to remove without taking everything out. I have a clear stand that came with the sump bout 5 inches tall. With that stand though I think the intake on the skimmer will be too high.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #809
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm I think it might need that stand, if the pump is still under water even a little bit it should be fine. Any evaporation you get should only cause the pump compartment to lower, not the other compartments.

You could just let it run for a few weeks to break it in, I think it would probably still overflow though being that deep.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #810
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't be too hasty moving livestock, even with the live rock you moved I doubt the system is ready for fish. It took 10 days for my 65 to cycle with nearly 100lbs. of rock. They are in a safe established system now, I would leave them in the 55 until you are absolutely sure the tank is ready for livestock. Better safe then sorry IMO.

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com