Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Carry so sorry to hear about your fish. :(

Keep your chin up and don't give up it'll all get sorted and you will end up with a fantastic super tank that is the envy of us all.

The last clown fish is in a 10g qt right now. He just ate. But he doesnt look good.

Should I assumeits marine velvet and treat for that? I still have 3 fish in the 125g that I cant catch without a breakdown.

Are the corals safe and inverts good to stay in the tank?

Including bob the sea hare? Is he gonna be ok in there while I wait it out with a qt tank?

What is the best medication for velvet, I'm not having much luck finding anything online.

There arent any invert display tank meds available that will work are there?

I think I lost the royal gramma too, it's been 3 days. But she has been know to hide ofr days at a time in the nooks and crannies of LR.

Doug, please help. what do you think I should do?

i would email chuck from chucks addiction. most of my information has been learned from others, and trial and error while importing a lot of livestock in a couple years time. i didn't have a lot of trouble with diseases, so never thought to study them, but someone has. if chuck doesn't know, he might be able to direct you to someone who does.
i wish i could be of more help.

what i was just thinking is- where did these fish come from? all from the same store? could it be possible that they are using a wholesale distributor that had a parasite in their system? some stores keep a low salinity to keep parasites somewhat dormant, then you get them home, acclimate them, and wham, all sorts of problems surface. just thinking out loud here....

Every fish I've gotten except for the ORA clowns came from the same store.

I contacted Chuck and sent an email, thanks for the link. I even printed it out so I could reference it later if I need to.

So far the blenny and goby are totally fine, nothing different in behavior and appetite.

The lone clown is not doing well though, he basically has no black color left and is splotchy.

last clownfish just died.

To say i am heartbroken is an understatement. They were my first sw fish and the most expensive. Also took me weeks to get them

I dont; even wanna think about restocking one day. :-(

My heart is breaking for you, we have all been living our tank lives through you. I feel absolutely horrible that you had to go through this

Thanks guys.

I've been doing a thorough head count and so far the royal gramma is still mising and now the blenny is hiding more than usual. Also seemed to have lost a cleaner shrimp as well. The blenny had no marks on him or anything just hiding. The yellow tang is out and swimming around and eating like nothing at all is wrong. It seems whatever is getting my fish makes them hide first then stop eating. So I'll be watching for a chance to grab the blenny.
But in all this death would you believe the candycane came out to eat and perch? Another fish that thinks nothing is wrong. He looked perfect too.

For whoever is reading this and not QT'ing, this is a huge wake up call.
You may think it's expensive, or maybe that you know your fish store so well, but it happens to everyone eventually. One sick fish brought death into my tank. I am done playing the odds on this, if and when I buy new fish into the 55g they go until I'm satisfied there's no sickness or issues.

I'm also leaning more towards getting my fish online, at least they usually have a 2 week guarantee. I LOVE being able to see a fish and pick him out and have him right away BUT there's generally no warranty of any kind.

I've talked to my fish store guy and while he seemed bummed about my situation he didnt offer to do anything. Not even a free bottle of meds or anything.

lesson number 2- don't buy an iffy fish. I waited and special ordered my blue tang and even though he looked ok, he still was stressed which I assumed would go away. I now know he was sick and I should have just left him at the store.

So many lessons learned. While I am the first in line to learn something, I wish these lessons didnt have to cost the life of my fish.

Sorry you had to go through all that. Did you figure out if it was one disease that cause it all?

Aww carey I'm soo sorry:( wish I was physically closer so I could help. Just appears that things progressed a bit too quick and something broke out:( I know you lost a lot of fish but just stick with it, it'll smooth out in the end, and just think even though you lost your fish, its a lesson well learned that you will more than likely avoid from here on out:)

sometimes the best lessons are the ones that blow up and kick you in the face, those are the ones we learn the most from, but atleast your corals and inverts are still safe, now you can run an invert/ reef for a little bit while any parasites die off

Besides I need to pick your brain for a good cuc setup:) I particularly like the shrimp that actually clean the fish:)

tehre are a few types of cleaners but the skunks are yellow with a red skunklike strip and are known to be the most trusted cleaner. blood shrimp are also cleaner shrimp but are jumbos and not as sleek lookign as the skunk and not as trusted

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+525+696&pcatid=696

peppermints are known for eating glass anemones aka aspitia

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom