Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If a tank has an ich outbreak, it doesn't mean that every fish gets it, just like humans and sickness, its hit and miss for some reason. I'd recommend lowering the salinity if possible and wait it out. If lfs use hypo-salinity to ward off infections, I'd think it would work to also cut lifespan short on existing infections/ bacteria

Yep, thats why I havent messed with the salinity. The first fish i think that would catch it would be the yellow tang, arent they famous for ich? lol

To be honest, we still don't know what killed my fish. Until today I've been under the assumption that it's not ich. There wasn't a spot on any of the fish that I could see, and trust me, I was looking cause that's what I was thinking at the time, ich.

I have put in a set of oscellaris clowns from my cube into the 125g. I couldnt leave them in there cause they were too violent. This should be a good indication if anything is still in the tank shouldn't it? Keep in mind every fish that died starting with the 1st one was within 24 hours of any distress. I find it hard to believe that all the fish had no signs of ich, the tang as leftyfish mentioned could have had some spots, but I didnt see them in person.

I'm still flying by the seat of my pants now. I hate making judgement calls but sometimes it has to be done.

i wouldn't say they are imfamous for it, its more that ich a natural parasite in the ocean, but fish can deal with them when they have a healthy slim coat, a tang if its not in the right environment can get stressed easily which is why ich is noticed on them before any other fish.

if you keep your fish happy and healthy they will do very well against ich, if they are stressed and not properly fed then you are allowing an openign for illnesses

we all know this saying "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" same thing goes for our fish, feedthem healthy and they will stay healthy, thats why i refuse to feed my fish every other day, i feed them every day, even if its just a little pinch of pellets, then every other day or even every three days i'll feed mysis, and soem days i'll mix it up and feed a bit of both. they do love those days

Last edited:
I was thinking on getting a UV sterilizer. While I know that it's hit or miss on if they work or not, is there any detriment to using one?

from what i know with UV is you want something with a slow gph rate so it effectively does its job i dont think theres a down side but ive heard its hit or miss

its not really a hit or miss, it al depends on how much UV light there is and the flow through it, the more the UV hits the better chance it has to kill the ich. so a slower flow and more powerful bulb with do it but it will also kill any pods and other living things that pass through it

I'm looking at one 18w with a 500gph pump. Not sure if thats too fast or not. I'd go for a slower pump if it'll make a difference, I know the slower the better it does it's job.

yeah the UV can kill whatever passes through it, it will actually burn them.

were you planning on placing it on your return pump?

I was going to place it in the return section running off a separate pump and poump the clean water back into the return section. My return pump is WAY to much flow to run it.

i think if you were goign to put the sterilizer the best place to put it would be in the skimming chamber as too minimize the benificial fuge life.

this is the reasons why people don't use UV sterilizers, the goods don't outweigh the bads, but with an ich problem it might be beneficial to put it in and rebuild your pod life after

Here are some very intelligent articles on QT and ich that Melosu58 shared with me in a PM. I did the uv (slow rate)...it doesn't help with ich because the babies fall to the sand, not in the water column, and they fall off at night where the fish is sleeping, so when they hatch they just swim up to the fish as it is already right there in it's favorite sleeping spot. I fed them garlic soaked food, I did big water changes, I fed multiple times a day, the water quality was great, Amm, trites, Phos were 0, nitrates 5-10, ph 8-8.2, salinity 30%. Nothing killed the ich, because none of those things kill ich.

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Excellent articles, I love when you guys have the links. :)

I'm still on the line with this being ich. I won't be adding any more fish for a bit so I figure if it is ich after all I will see a re-emergence of it then at some point in the next few weeks.

I was thinking UV as an added bonus in this situation but if it kills pods then I won't be adding one.

In reading the symptoms it doesn't appear that they had any, there was no flashing, heavy breathing or apparent infestation. The fish only lost their appetite the night before death.

Of course if it's not ich I may still be looking at velvet being the cause.

I still have the question though of how the fish died so fast. I've read the ich articles and seen ich on fish but it seems they last longer than a day or two with it. I'm not sure about marine velvet though.....

Wish I had taken pictures of all the dead fish, as none of them had any other physical abnormalities other than what appeared to be burn marks.

I'm still hanging in there, hoping for the best.

carey said:
Excellent articles, I love when you guys have the links. :)

I'm still on the line with this being ich. I won't be adding any more fish for a bit so I figure if it is ich after all I will see a re-emergence of it then at some point in the next few weeks.

I was thinking UV as an added bonus in this situation but if it kills pods then I won't be adding one.

In reading the symptoms it doesn't appear that they had any, there was no flashing, heavy breathing or apparent infestation. The fish only lost their appetite the night before death.

Of course if it's not ich I may still be looking at velvet being the cause.

I still have the question though of how the fish died so fast. I've read the ich articles and seen ich on fish but it seems they last longer than a day or two with it. I'm not sure about marine velvet though.....

Wish I had taken pictures of all the dead fish, as none of them had any other physical abnormalities other than what appeared to be burn marks.

I'm still hanging in there, hoping for the best.

I've read multiple articles stating fish can live with ich for weeks.. how great of an infestation would they need to die within a day.. im sure u would have seen it to the point it was noticable.

That's what I was thinking and kinda why i figured from the beginning it wasn't ich. But I could be horribly wrong.

Leftyfish just raised the possibilty after looking at some photos. If you want the photos of the dead tang are on page 138. Any and all help and opinions are wanted here. I can only learn from others and my own experience.

carey when you moved everything over to the 125G did you experience any spikes and how long after you moved did you experience any? i finally over the weekend moved everything into the new tank and used the old rock plus about 90 lbs of dry rock i just took the rock out quickly put it in a bucket of saltwater to rince of all the sand and detritus then moved it into the new tank everything is testing 0 so far after about 14 hours of being in he new tank so i guess i will continue to test it

I had an ammonia spike for the first 3 days I believe. i didn't have any fish in there so I just let it ride til it disappeared. i also only had the rock out of water for just seconds but still had ammonia. It could have come from my pod tank too though, I moved that into the sump when I setup the 125g.

Back
Top Bottom