Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2011, 09:30 AM   #901
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Also, I will do my first PWC today if the ammonia isn't down. This should be interesting to attempt with one person. LOL

Still trying to find the sweet spot as far as water levels. I'm also looking into an ATO system, found a cheap and easy looking one. Should this work?

Float Valve Kit by Eshopps - AquaCave

I will just have to jerry rig a jug to it and figure out how to elevate it. I'm looking at making a small shelf.

I'm also thinking of buying this

BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor - English

Anyone know if you can effectively run carbon AND GFO in this single unit? I have had a phosphate issue for months in the 55g and just in case it happens in the 125g I will be ready. Plus I like carbon anyways.

What do you guys think?

Old 06-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #902
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It probably just has some GFO in one compartment and carbon in another. Doesn't seem too pricey.

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Sarcothelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #903
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Is there any reason why one of the overflow tubes just out of the blue lost siphon? I'm only running a single tube in the overflow now and adjusted the pump's putput until my b/f gets home. I can't get at the overflow box with the darn light on the tank and since it's 6 feet long I can't take it off by myself.

One of those moments when you think to yourself, "What was i thinking"
Old 06-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #904
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
do you have a HOB overflow box? if so, it probably lost siphon because the pump wasn't strong enough.

....i laughed out loud when i read that you read my post from years ago about the same sand perch. any fish with a big mouth, and teeth in that big mouth, should not be labeled 100% reef safe IMO. those teeth are for something!
what to do? just watch him i guess. if small fish and inverts come up missing, you know who to point the finger at.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #905
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
do you have a HOB overflow box? if so, it probably lost siphon because the pump wasn't strong enough.

....i laughed out loud when i read that you read my post from years ago about the same sand perch. any fish with a big mouth, and teeth in that big mouth, should not be labeled 100% reef safe IMO. those teeth are for something!
what to do? just watch him i guess. if small fish and inverts come up missing, you know who to point the finger at.

Glad I can keep you amused X. :LOL

I broke down the cube and caught the little bugger. he's gonna be heading back to petco in about 5 minutes.

I'm confused when you say the pump wasn't strong enough, how would this affect the overflow box? While I'm at it, how are the constant overflow boxes? Worth the extra cash?
CPR CS102 SIPHON AQUARIUM OVERFLOW BOX by CPR Aquatic - AquaCave

I believe I need a pump for that type of overflow, anyone use this overflow?
Old 06-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #906
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
the J tube style overflow boxes have to be paired up with the correct pump and pushed to the correct gph or you'll see small bubbles getting trapped in the J tube, and accumulating until the siphon breaks.
the CPR boxes utilize an aqua lifter pump. this keeps the siphon going by a small but constant suction. i do like these better, however, you have to replace the 12 dollar pump about yearly, because they wear out in about that time.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #907
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks X! I may have to upgrade as my b/f is getting sick of sucking up salt water. lol

grrr..should have spent the extra money straight off. Live and learn I guess
Old 06-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #908
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol it probably would have been cheaper to have it drileld out there would have been no worries and only would have needed a check valve on your return
Old 06-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #909
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just retestes for ammonia and came up with 0. Yay!

Gonna let the tank run til later this week and then if no more ammonia spikes I will start to move over the fish.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #910
Aquarium Advice Addict

you could always ad some bacteria to help counter the stress of more bioload

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com