Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could have a smooth transition too with no spikes. I'd make sure over a couple days before you move your stuff over. Took about a day or 2 for my spike. :)

I am officially DONE with cleaner shrimp. Just lost my 4th one sometime last night. I have 1 left. I think it's the pistol shrimp getting them. I can't possible get the pistol out without a tank breakdown so I guess I'm stuck with him.

The cleaners were really cool to watch too, my goby and tang used to go to them all the time.

Too bad these shrimp cost like $24 each.! ANother $100 bucks pissed away.

Would a coral banded shrimp be man enough to stand up to a pistol shrimp? I really want alot of shrimp but am finding it hard to accomplish.

Looks like your cleaner shrimp are gettin pistol whipped....:) sorry I had to,
Imo Carey I'd just get the pistol shrimp outta there, I know it'll take a partial breakdown, but better now while there's minimal livestock. I don't think sacrificing a cleaner shrimp crew for a single pistol is worth it, but that's my opinion. Imagine if you fully re-stock and then decide you wanna take the pistol out....

Yeah, I know....lol. Theres just sooo much rock and corals that I hate to even think of digging it all out.

If I have another outbreak of whatever killed my fish I will be breaking down the tank to get the fish out so I'll consider it at that time. He has made his home in the exact center on the bottom rocks.

Just don't believe this one pistol is causing me so much grief. he doesn't even come out, I saw him for a second about a week ago.

carey said:
Yeah, I know....lol. Theres just sooo much rock and corals that I hate to even think of digging it all out.

If I have another outbreak of whatever killed my fish I will be breaking down the tank to get the fish out so I'll consider it at that time. He has made his home in the exact center on the bottom rocks.

Just don't believe this one pistol is causing me so much grief. he doesn't even come out, I saw him for a second about a week ago.

I lost two cleaners as well kinda dawned on me over the weekend that I hadn't seen them... I think the aggressive fire shrimp at a descent size would hold off the pistol.. with that 125 id say u could pick up 2

I keep finding the dead bodies. They are broken in half so I'm guessing the pistol is doing that. Nothing else in the tank would or could do that to the shrimp. I think I'm down to 1 peppermint as well, I can't find the other 3.

maybe shrimp just aren't for me lol

Well, I genreally hear a ruckus form the pistol and then surprise, theres a dead shrimp the next day. It's gotta be the thing killing them, the tang, blenny, goby and clowns arent killing them. And they always seem to be snapped in half. It's pretty gruesome. lol

I can't think of any other reason for them to be dying, even if the tank has ich or velvet in it inverts are supposed to be immune to them.

carey said:
I am officially DONE with cleaner shrimp. Just lost my 4th one sometime last night. I have 1 left. I think it's the pistol shrimp getting them. I can't possible get the pistol out without a tank breakdown so I guess I'm stuck with him.

The cleaners were really cool to watch too, my goby and tang used to go to them all the time.

Too bad these shrimp cost like $24 each.! ANother $100 bucks pissed away.

Would a coral banded shrimp be man enough to stand up to a pistol shrimp? I really want alot of shrimp but am finding it hard to accomplish.

Use the bottle trap to catch the pistol.

You think it would work for the pistol? I'm not sure how much he comes out from under the rocks...

How does that trick work anyways, I've never really understood it. lol

I have 2 pistols and a fire cleaner, no problems. I do spend about 3-4 hours drip acclimating for them. The fire shrimp killed a peppermint, no proof but it hung out where red liked to go at night in the cube and I didn't have any pistols then (they are so small, I'd guess the emerald crabs before them, lol.)

You could try this...put a zip lock bag with chaeto in it, and hang it from the top of the tank with the cover and one corner of the bag. My pistol went in it to eat the pods and couldn't figure out how to get back out.

I'm very lucky, place near me has cleaners for $17, too bad I already spent $50 on red, but he is awesome.

Oh, I've had these shrimp for a couple weeks, I also drip acclimate shrimp for 3 hours. They were all happy and together on this one rock outcropping, it was the station. Too bad it's a few inched from where the pistol lives. :-(

My last cleaner is hiding on a rock to the far right of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom