Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was looking at coral banded shrimp, I was thinking he can stand up to the pistol. But I've heard and read that you can only keep one unless they are a mated pair?

Anyone know?

Thanks!!

:-D

Cbs will fight to the death unless they are a mated pair. Mine tried to kill fish also, there are some horror stories out there about CBS.

carey said:
You think it would work for the pistol? I'm not sure how much he comes out from under the rocks...

How does that trick work anyways, I've never really understood it. lol

I will try to explain but you might want to check out YouTube for aquarium bottle trap.
For the pistol shrimp take a coke or pepsi bottle and cut out the whole piece where the bottle starts to slope to the cap.Take the cap off.Put a small hole near the cut open part of the bottle and tie some fish line to it in order to pull it up later.get a piece of rock and rubber band some bait to it and place in the bottle.Reverse the part of the bottle you cut off and push it in the other part.Slowly lower the bottle to the bottom near where the shrimp stays.The idea is the shrimp will go in the small cap part to get the bait but will have trouble finding it's way back out or you can pull the bottle up quickly if you see it go in.

Regarding coral banded shrimp I would go for the Golden banded shrimp,it is peaceful.I have one in my 3 gallon Pico with two sexy shrimp with no problems.

Also in IMO the skunk is the best cleaner shrimp,Fire shrimp are pretty but everything I read says they are not good for corals or clam mantles.

Thanks rick. :) I think I can kinda picture it in my head. i may look into the golden banded for my pico, that would be a great idea. :)

I also heard the same about the fire shrimp. They are really awesome looking but I think they were like $30 each last time I looked. Too much for my blood on a shrimp no less...lol

The bottle trick is a very wise idea:) it works along the same lines as a crab pod they use for catching crab in the wild

Pistol shrimp kill cleaners?? :( someone please confirm this I thought pistols were safe and friendly ;(

Pistols eat them in the wild. Its in a few documentaries which portions are now on youtube. Most people dont have a problem in aquari unlesd the pistol isnt getting food

He's not eating them, just snapping them in half and leaving the carcass for me to clean up. I think everything in my tank is at best, way overfed. lol

Carey, i know your tanks are overfed, but for most thats the problem. Maybe your pistol is thinking of a future snack and kills when it has the opportunity so it doesnt lose out?
On another thought doesnt the goby send out the pistol when scared? So maybe your goby is a scaredy fish! LOL

I know it doesnt sound fun but redoing some rockwork to try and get the cleaning station further from the murderer. I know even moving things isnt a guarantee theyll switch their spot...but i think it would be worth a try

My goby and shrimp haven't met up yet, and if they did they don't get along. lol My goby is a big wuss, he sometimes tries to fight with the blenny but he's all open mouth and no bite. hehe

I think I'm gonna move the cleaner into the cube, maybe he'll like it in the special needs tank. lol I just have to raise the salinity in that tank then I think

After my normal wednesday fish shopping day I came home with some stuff. I couldn't stock any fish for this tank of course, and they had some awesome blue tangs that were blue already BUT I did get a purple feather duster, my first and a flowerpot coral. :)

Pictures once they are in tank and open.

Woot woot!

Tomorrow or Friday I get to go visit the fish I ordered and check them out. can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom