Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just wanted to say I love reading all your posts! Being new I am interested in all you have to say. I pored last week that my two clowns died suddenly, then my wrasse the next day. I got them at the same time. I also have two skunk cleaner shrimp(I love them)!! That have been doing very well. Could the fish have died a few days after purchase. Maybe because I didn't acclimate them well enough? I was kinda rushed, and didn't take a lot of time.

Thanks so much! :-D

I usually acclimate for at least 2 hours for fish and longer for inverts like shrimp.

That could def be an issue with your situation. Is your water all good? No ammonia or nitrites? A tad of nitrates?

I loved my cleaner shrimp, all five that I HAD. They are now all gone. Still not sure who the guilty party is, my pistol shrimp or my Tang. lol

I am sad to say, I only acclimated half hour:(. Do you float the bag, or drip method for your fish? I was doing a pwc the other day, wanted the water warm enough so put a tank heater in a home depot bucket. Good lord!! Must of had a small crack in the heater! It started snapping and smoking and looked like it was shooting out lightening! I quickly unplugged the heater. But was very scary!!! Good thing no fish in bucket! :)

I float the bag for about 20 minutes then I put them in a separate container and add water little bit by little bit over the course of about 2 hours. You pretty much want most of the water in the bag/container to be your tank water by the time youre done. :) Even if it means dumping some out of the bag/container then resuming adding tank water.

I also float the bag for 20-30 minutes and then drip acclimate. I bought some standard air tubing, a valve that controls the flow (I forgot what it's called). This way I can regulate the drip speed easily. I keep the drip until the water volume doubles, then discard half and go on with the acclimation. LA instruct that after the water volume doubles twice which takes about 2 hours, the fish can be transferred to the tank. I hope this is a more or less coherent description of what I do. :)

You can also use regular airline tubing and tie a knot in it to restrict the water flow to what you want, a few drops a second. :)

I only drip sensitive inverts the rest I float then pour some water in the bag over the course of 30 Minutes or so for snails and crabs I temp acclimate then in they go lol

huma-huma said:
I wanna say its called a gang valve but I think that's only the name of the multiple ones

Yeah, I keep thinking gang valve too, but it's not it lol. Can't remember the name!

Carey, yep, could also tie a knot, haven't tried it myself :)

Ok, well, I might have an issue. It looks like my tang is changing color. Along the top of his body between the top fin it looks like it's turning brown. Here's alot of pictures, do you see what I'm talking about anyone? Any ideas? he is still eating and swimming around, not at the surface and not rubbing either.

Also, took a shot of my Blenny while I was chasing the tang for pictures. lol

img_1452677_0_d88aa1febeaacd7e241fd6841675fedb.jpg

img_1452677_1_acf539969c4973a557c321d59636c08b.jpg

img_1452677_2_db00062c3074d56364e7036b7a16b898.jpg

img_1452677_3_8872c68c251ef0561ae92b47ff9a8aba.jpg

Yeah, it's along the edge. Not sure if maybe he's stressed or if its' something more. I think I may be paranoid now. LOL

I'd put him in qt right away. The brownish discoloration is def there. I'm so sorry I can't help with better advice, Carey. I hope this will not have the same development!

He's had it all day and is still active. I could barely get any pictures of him. He's looking 100% otherwise.

When the tangs died they turned brown after they got sick. There was no warning whatsoever.

So I am seeing something then? I'm not imagining it?

Back
Top Bottom