Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have rock in the sock, just the refugium area. It looks alot dirtier than it is with the shadows, I had to stick my arm in to get a photo since theres no clear shot it's behind a support beam. :)

I've only found the eshopps filter sock that has the rectangluar size and theres no choice on micron rating. Thats why i was thinking of separating the two into 2 separate socks so it would be more universal.

Whatcha think?

thats totally possible, just go to HD and get some acrylic sheets and cut out a hole to fit the socks in, then just slide into the shelf the same way you'd slide the square on in

The problem with my sumo is now the filter socks. They are made of a heavy heavy pad material and it clogs up super easy. Being that they are $10 minimum online I'd like to reuse the old ones but I can't seem to get it clean. Any suggestions?

I'm gonna buy a 7" round sock later today and see if I can get both inputs into the one hole. :)

Otherwise everything is looking good. So far LOL

carey said:
The problem with my sumo is now the filter socks. They are made of a heavy heavy pad material and it clogs up super easy. Being that they are $10 minimum online I'd like to reuse the old ones but I can't seem to get it clean. Any suggestions?

I'm gonna buy a 7" round sock later today and see if I can get both inputs into the one hole. :)

Otherwise everything is looking good. So far LOL

Carey,...I have two sets of these socks ,.. While a pair is in the sump collecting the gunk,...the other pair is in a bucket of water and some bleach,...after a day or two I rinse them out real good and let them air dry for a couple of more days, amazing how clean they come out!.. Then they go into the sump and the other ones come out for their cleaning.....

carey said:
Is bleach ok to use? I'd be afraid I couldn't get it all out LOL

Thanks for the suggestion... :)

Why not,...it just dissolves all the waste,...once you rinse it out,( I use the garden hose,) leave them in a bucket of clean water,then add some water conditioner if you like,.. Works fantastically well,....I usually fill up a bucket ( old salt bucket ) with just enough water to cover the socks about an inch or two and the pour in about a half to one cup of bleach...

Last edited:
Even the thought of bleach within 50 feet of my tank frightens me, I don't doubt anyone's personal experiences but I wouldn't clean anything with bleach regardless of how well I rinsed it after.

I guess to me it just seems like an necessary risk, I know that nothing bad should happen, but if bleach somehow found its way into the tank....I don't want to think about it. Lol

Even the thought of bleach within 50 feet of my tank frightens me, I don't doubt anyone's personal experiences but I wouldn't clean anything with bleach regardless of how well I rinsed it after.

Yeah, I'm kinda skittish about the bleach myself. I wish I had day's nerve LOL. I'm hoping the 7" round socks fit I woudnt mind buying 2 of those a month hehe....But 4 of the other ones? It'll bust my budget

I'll have to think about the bleach idea...

Am I the only one not going through filter socks that often? I just rinse the heck out of them when I do PWCs and they last close to two months.

These eshopps square ones are different though. they are uber thick like a filter pad and very stiff. Thats why I'm gonna try to find an alternative. It also doesn't help that I have to take my skimmer out to get to the sock. :-( Makes a 2 minute job take 30 minutes.

carey said:
Yeah, I'm kinda skittish about the bleach myself. I wish I had day's nerve LOL. I'm hoping the 7" round socks fit I woudnt mind buying 2 of those a month hehe....But 4 of the other ones? It'll bust my budget

I'll have to think about the bleach idea...

Well,..ya gotta do what ya gotta do but,...I've been doing this every single week for the last six months and haven't noticed any problems,...IMO it's just making sure that the socks are rinsed and dried out properly,....I understand your guys being cautious, but this is just what I myself have been doing,,wether you want to implement it or not is up to you,...just MY view on the subject,.. But until I notice a problem or mr.x yells at me I'll probably just continue doing so,... :- )

Bleach is Chlorine. Water with Prime neutralizes it. No worrys at all. I clean all my decor and fake plants with it.

what i did when i used filter socks is -every 2 or 3 days i would change them out, then, when i got all but one dirty, i would turn them inside out and put them in the clothes washer without soap. they came out pretty good.
i had about 5 of the 7" socks. i never used any bleach on them, and don't think it's necessary. the washer does a fine job. they aren't 100% pure white when they come out, but they are plenty clean for re-use.

btw, be careful when you turn them inside out- there will be lots of pods to gently pick off and toss back in the tank, and occasionally a bristle worm or two as well. once in a while even a fish may be found in there.

ahhh I was waiting for you to chime in!

So I would assume gentle wash on cold water? I have a front loader washer hopefully that won't make a difference.

I will get some more socks this week and give it a try.

Thanks very much.

yes, we had a front loader at the time as well. i put it on sanitary most of the time, but "quick wash" seemed to work ok too....

mr_X said:
what i did when i used filter socks is -every 2 or 3 days i would change them out, then, when i got all but one dirty, i would turn them inside out and put them in the clothes washer without soap. they came out pretty good.
i had about 5 of the 7" socks. i never used any bleach on them, and don't think it's necessary. the washer does a fine job. they aren't 100% pure white when they come out, but they are plenty clean for re-use.

btw, be careful when you turn them inside out- there will be lots of pods to gently pick off and toss back in the tank, and occasionally a bristle worm or two as well. once in a while even a fish may be found in there.

Mr x ,..thanks for chiming in as well,...do you find anything wrong in using the bleach method as long as everything is rinsed out well ?
P.s. Thanks for not yelling at me

All this talk about bleach brings me back to a time when I was 10 years old and would bleach my coral skeletons overnight, then rinse the heck out of them, and finally sun dry them on the porch.

Back in the tank they would go in a breath taking never-possible-in-nature layout. God, how cool I thought it was......

Enjoying the build Carey, keep the pics come'n =-)

Back
Top Bottom