Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carey said:
Nope, he has a nice long tube so I just put him in between some rocks. My reference books ays they like alot of flow but I may have to move him.

I've only had the sun corals for 2 weeks or so, but I've been feeding them with tweezers, mysis and brine shrimp. It's a real pain cause you have to wait til they open up then feed each single polyp. I have over 10 heads so it takes quite some time. It's really cool though, kinda like feeding a nem. They actually take the food from my tweezers and engulf it. Today some of the polyps look very flat while some are huge and puffy. I'm learning as I go. LOL

Here is a pic of how I feed my Sun Coral...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110714_055028.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110714_055028.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 162
Yeah, I was gonna do that too after I redo the pico. It's not in a good spot for the bottle feeding LOL

Carey I have spent the last three evenings reading this entire thread, I have yet to dip my toe into the world of Salt water Aquariums, I am a freshwater tropical keeper (for the foreseeable future)... I really enjoy reading from the Marine side of things

I just wanted to thank you for sharing your experience (y)

I'd love to join you guys/girls some day

for now I am happy to read and enjoy your SW posts :cool:

It's really not as hard as it seems. As long as you have some solid advice and knowledge you can make it work. I was a freshy girl myself, for many decades, but now I'm a convert i think. LOL

I'm glad you enjoyed the thread. :) it really was full of a lot of good information that touched on almost every aspect of reefkeeping.
Thanks so much for reading thru it!

It's really not as hard as it seems. As long as you have some solid advice and knowledge you can make it work. I was a freshy girl myself, for many decades, but now I'm a convert i think. LOL

I'm glad you enjoyed the thread. :) it really was full of a lot of good information that touched on almost every aspect of reefkeeping.
Thanks so much for reading thru it!

Convert.........or..........convict?

@kurtyboh...Careful now, she will get you addicted and you will end up with MTS in no time at all.:dance:

I'm happy to report it's been over 2 weeks I believe since the death plaque hit my tank and everything seems fine still. I have the added clowns from the biocube in there now since they were killing my yellow watchman goby.

So we have happy clowns, the happy spotted goby and the lawnmower, oh and the Tang all seemingly doing well.

How long is it between ich infestations? i understand it infects then falls to the sand and then is reborn so to be speak. I wanna see how long til I can cross out ich.

In the same tone, with marine velvet, doesnt it stay active in the water? I didn't think it had a life cycle like ich did. or could the fish in there be immune? And if so will it die off on its own with no fish to kill and infect?

I don't really know much about diseases so any help or links are cool!

Thank You!!

Ultimately if it doesn't have a host it'll starve and die....I'm not 100% sure with velvet, but I know that's the case with ich, only thing with ich is if you wait till night time and turn only your actinics on and take an low upper glance at your fish, you should see the ich spots glowing yellow or green, I know that sometimes ich can form in their gills but you should still be able to spot it with actinic

huma-huma said:
Ultimately if it doesn't have a host it'll starve and die....I'm not 100% sure with velvet, but I know that's the case with ich, only thing with ich is if you wait till night time and turn only your actinics on and take an low upper glance at your fish, you should see the ich spots glowing yellow or green, I know that sometimes ich can form in their gills but you should still be able to spot it with actinic

Really good idea and valuable knowledge.... and carey what does MTS mean im sure its so simple but I can't put it together... kinda how my daughter txt me aus the other day...

MTS= multiple tank syndrome

Thanks for the other link leftyfish, I think these were better than the other ones I've seen.

SO, let's ASSUME I had ich kill my fish over 2 weeks ago. There are no signs at all of it, even under blues on any remaining fish. I have also added 2 fish to the tank since. So the parasite could be maturing in the sand correct? And this could take up to 28 days? If it is ich won't my fish become affected within those 28 days? Or shortly thereafter?

I'm trying to rule out ich and just need to understand the time table. If after 28 days of initial "infection" there is no re-occurence then is it safe to assume it wasn't ich?

Also, bad new.....my last cleaner shrimp has gone missing. :-(
BUT BUT BUT I saw a thread just before where someone caught their tang eating and pecking at cleaner shrimp. Anyone think now maybe the pistol shrimp isn't killing them but the tang is?

Thanks so much for everything!

Back
Top Bottom