Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I did it. I actually bought another 125g tank and stand. Paid $100 for it. Needs some work though. I plan on painting it all black to start off with. Also, one of the plastic support pieces is melted a little. Is this going to cause me any problems?

I'm afraid I jumped the gun on this one a bit because of the price......Theres also a small chip of glass missing from a corner which I didn't see til I was unloading it. :-(

Pictures below, any input or opinions on this issue please post!

img_1352150_0_25fdaf46221c5fa035c1c394c3a4a0ef.jpg

img_1352150_1_2724422d91228920dc8a841f50f9face.jpg

img_1352150_2_7c7be0b9e89ea71ec45f6f4b141221bf.jpg

You guys! LOL Seriously though, I'm downsizing. Once this 125g is up then I'm selling the 55g and 29g saltwaters. :)

Thats the plan anyway. I just hope the faults in this tank aren't too bad.

You guys see the pictures, does it look okay?

Flake said:
I'd leak test it for a week or so first.

Definitely. That chip looks suspicious to me. It may just look worse in the picture than it already is, but it's better safe than sorry.

yeah, the chip has me concerned. It doesn't go all the way through to the silicone or anything but still pretty shady. LOL

I intend on letting it sit with water for at least a week in the garage. From my cleaning so far it looks like it's scratch free on both sides so I'll just paint the back and cover the chip.

What about that slightly bent support beam? The entire frame is all good just the unsightly burnt one. The guy said he had a MH on there and thats how it melted.

I plan an open top with most likely a 72" fixture. I'm looking at a used current extreme pro with 12 t5's. Just gotta call the guy and see if he will take my 29g sw setup in exchange. :) Would make my life nice and easy.

A lot of glass can be repaired easily, but with it being on a corner i dont know...

Really i just wanted to say CONGRATS! And way ahead of schedule

I wouldn't worry about the chip....it takes a serous crack to get a leak.....looks sick though!!! Good luck :)

So I filled her up with water and cleaned it up a bit. :)
So next by next weekend if there are no leaks I will start painting. I kinda think the stand is dark enough to leave alone and I'm thinking on painting the frame of the tank black. was pretty easy when I did my other 125g.

I'm sooo excited!!! In a few short months I will have my tangs finally!

Hey Glen, i couldn't find them in a 60" size. :-( Goes from 48" to 72". I was looking for a 60" a few weeks ago for a potential tank and had a tough time finding a good selection.

img_1352311_0_8c262425f0e68d97c2f6fb507bfe209b.jpg

hmmm and its the bottom corner also, if it was the top i would say it should be fine but the bottom is iffy. maybe take it to a glass shop and see if they can repair it

as far as the brace, if it bugs you that much, you can always silicone a piece 1/4" acrylic across to brace it from bowing

Yeah, the placement of the glass break is horrible. Do you think if she's gonna blow that it will be a week? Or will the added weight from the rock and sand maybe do it? I'm really hoping it holds.

As far as the brace, where would I silicone? The brace itself is still there, just bows down a bit due to the melting. I didn't notice any bowing yet either. Theres still another brace 24 inches away. Its a 3 section top 125g. :)

Thanks for looking for the lights the tank cleaned up well in the last pic you will be watching those Tangs before u know it lol

Back
Top Bottom