Careys New 55g Reef Help thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On this topic, does a sea hare eat red hair algae? cause i got a bunch and Bob hasn't made a dent. lol

Not sure if the pictures will show it well, but its on half my rocks and is kinda fuzzy, not drippy. I have way way too many cuc and they have been making a good size dent. if you recall I have phosphate issues, been reading 1.0 since I setup tank. Only recently in the last few days has the phos gone down to about .5.

Thanks for your input, I love hearing from you. :)

img_1300007_0_7d65201d28a2c66e0bbe7dcb8e995048.jpg

img_1300007_1_ed2864c4f8338aba8c3a5be5d9eba18c.jpg

img_1300007_2_39af095d8a979d48c7fa527a9478a006.jpg

Is cyano mushy or fuzzy? sigh*** a potential new problem.... just when Ithought it was going good lol

i've seen that before and although i can't recall the name, i have never seen it grow long. it's not a bad looking algae and wouldn't worry much about it. i've never witnessed it cover or choke out anything nice. HTH

*edit* it's not cyano if it's fuzzy. i wouldn't say it's coralline, or cyano if so.

Last edited:
Oh yes, he was eating yesterday and finally came out of hiding overnight. I wish i could have more than one, they are really colorful fish. And they dont float, but they don't zip back and forth either. the perfect combination. :)

Thanks Kelsey! This guy is already hidden away in a burrow so I pretty much just threw $14 into my tank never to be seen again! LOL

Haha yah i got a pair of a hi fin red banded goby and his shrimp for my nano, they got separated right away. Never saw the shrimp again and the fish stay around for about a month and was eating but was so scared of all the bigger fish all the time, he eventually disappeared too :(

I hope you get lucky and yours pairs up with you watchman!

They couldn't be further apart in the tank. they are both at complete opposite ends of the 55g. The pistol is a little digger! he had my elegance coral covered in sand this morning. lol I can only see the claws on the shrimp he's so far in there. Oh well.. best intentions

I'm anal retentive, I HAVE to know where each critter is or I'll break the tank down to find them. I'm really OCD when it comes to my fish tanks. LOL

carey do you have some new pictures of your tank? im trying to change the position of my powerheads i was cleaning my tank today and i noticed a couple of my rocks had collected detritis on them so i need to change the powerheads around some to hit the dead areas some more need some ideas, right now their on opposite sides of the tank pointed at the front glass

I've played around with my ph's too. i used to have them bowing both on the glass and off each other. Since I upgraded I have them both pointing at the rock and each other. I have mad circulation, I follow it sometimes when I feed to make sure theres no dead spots. I also have a fluval pointed at the front glass so I have that too and the skimmer. lol

do you possibly have a picture? so i can see if its not too much trouble lol

Back
Top Bottom