Careys New 55g Reef Help thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thank helps me alot thanks for taking the time to do it for me

now i blew up all kinds of detritis and its all over my sandbed lol

So I went on a little shopping spree. LOL Got something for a couple tanks. I got a brittle starfish. It's pretty cool.

img_1316405_0_abb3b95ac58c67a11868c1433bf71c06.jpg

nice. they are neat to hand feed. i used to have a trio of them in a 150, and used to hand feed each one of them during coral feedings. my favorite thing about reef keeping i think...the feeding.

Yeah I've heard they are fun. Mine is kinda still adjusting, he's hidden away for now.

The best part of my nem when I had it was the feeding, I love feeding by hand it's incredible to watch.

So this is a build thread and as we all know the build is never complete. LOL

I was thinking since it's only april and I won't be getting the 125g til years end that maybe I should upgrade my lights.

I found this on eBay.

48" MH HQI 250W 15000k Auqrium Reef Lighting PL 65W - eBay (item 270732862967 end time May-08-11 06:29:35 PDT)

I'm currently running a quad T5 setup with indivudual reflectors and ATI bulbs all around. Even has a built in timer.

Is it a major upgrade or just marginal? I have NO issues with my current lighting other than it has no led moonlights which I really really want but not for over $300.

i think it's a waste of money. moonlights are overrated. you can't really see anything that's happening in the tank with them on and it does nothing for the inhabitants.
i'd also like to share an experience i had with a chinese knock-off fixture from ebay-
i had a 30 cube at my girlfriends house, which i bought one of those fixtures for. 250 watts with pc actinics, over an oceanic 30 cube should have been a TON of light, right? it couldn't even keep zoanthids happy. they grew really long, because they were stretching towards the light. i changed the bulb out for a few different higher PAR bulbs thinking it was the lamp that was the problem, but i concluded that it was the ballast. although it fired the bulb, it did not push it to capacity. you can see in the few pics in the thread below how the zoas changed.

Nurse Smarty Pants' 30 gallon cube : Members' Tank Specifications

these fixtures are similar to the more expensive ones, but not the same. some folks who have them would tell you their tanks are doing great and they are fine to use, but i've never seen a mature sps reef with a cheapo ebay fixture over it.
the ones that use them and have successful tanks have swapped out the ballasts for icecaps or sunlight supply units, and definitely changed out the bulbs.
after all that, i'm not sure how good a deal they really are.

As always thanks for the input. I guess sometimes I worry too much about some stuff..

I'll be ok without the moonlights lol. I'll just save the money for the 72" fixture I'll need

omg, I love youtube! So awesome. If I dont get that tilefish for the 55g I'm def. gettting one for the 125g. It's awesome!

How big ya think that first tank was? He had all sorts of stuff in there LOL

Kelsey, a special thanks to you for the research you did. You my dear, ROCK. :)

I ordered the fish last night but didn't get anything for this 55g. I may go locally or order again if all works out well. There's several places that I've found in Florida so hopefully I won't get killed on shipping. Why I love reefcleaners so much. lol

I also liked the cardinals in that tank, still not out of the question. I am soo bad.

That first tank was only a 75 gallon I hope he is going to upgrade.

Wow the tang police would be on him in like 1 second. I think he had at least 2 in there if I remember.

I'm now browsing bluezoo aquatics. :-D Always shopping, and it's too early for the lfs to be open yet. lol

Back
Top Bottom