Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Carey's Newest Build: Aqueon Evolve 8G

Ok, so like I don't have enough tanks already,lol, but I couldnt resist. Thanks to a post on this forum I found out that Petsmart was doing a 50% off sale on their desktop tanks!!! Instead of $80 for it is was only $40!!! I mean really, how can you pass that up? I got the largest one they had at 8g, they had all of them marked down from the 2g all the way up. But they were almost as much as this one so I got the big one, bigger is always better! LOL

So I took everything out and it seems like a really simple system. The return pump is at 98gph, which depending on the actual flow I might upgrade to a slightly bigger pump that I probably have laying around. I am not a fan of the filter "cartridge" so I am open to suggestions.

It came with a small led fixture that can be switched between blues and whites and blues. I guess a good question is what can I keep under it? I was thinking mushrooms and other low light corals. Again, any suggestions are welcome. I do not know how many watts it is putting out though, can't seem to find that information. :-( It has many many leds' so I imagine it is a tiny wattage per each led.

AND finally, stocking! This is the fun part. If you had this tank what would you put in? This might be my chance to finally get some sexy shrimp, the tank is small enough to actually see them.

Here are the pictures that of course come with any new build.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Hi Carey, looks like fun. I bet those LEDs are 0.25W or so each. Even if the wattage adds up to what seems like a suitable number, low powered LEDs like that won't penetrate through the water sufficiently for most coral.

No harm in giving a couple shrooms a try though and seeing how it goes. If things start going south you can always toss them back in another tank and try again.

A single PAR38 bulb might be a good candidate for this tank, if you wanted to make sure you had enough light for softies and probably even some LPS? Something like this?
Aquarium LED PAR38 Bulb 15W Actinic Blue 10K 14k White w Clamp Mount Gooseneck | eBay

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why not just dismantle current led lighting and put in the 3 watters. Any electronic store can help you build it.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You couldn't add 3W LEDs to it without adding a new driver as well.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384 View Post
You couldn't add 3W LEDs to it without adding a new driver as well.
Drivers don't have to be on the fixture. And it's pretty cheap. LEDs are kinda pricey.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

My only point was you couldn't just swap the LEDs for 3W LEDs. You'd have to pick up a new driver as well.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, I've been researching possible light upgrades since I got home with the tank. I have some really good options I think. The par38 I think will be too bulky, I've used them before over my 4g and it just overwhelmed the tank. lol

I added a koralia 425 and have it loaded up with water already. I am in search of some sand, I'm thinking of taking some out of the 90g since it has waaay too much anyways. I already have the 2 rocks picked out that I will move in as well, so no cycle for me. woot!

In theory it would be nice to switch out the baby led for 3watters but like stated I would need a new driver for them. :-( There are some really good pico led lights that I can put over it though so it's not hopeless.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yeah lots of options out there, for sure. I looked closely at these when I was looking for solutions for my 12 Long. They have a few really nice nano type fixtures, though they are pricey.
aQ.LED

You could put together a kit from rapid... you could use a 12" wide heat sync.
Drilled/tapped 1.4" x 12" Aluminum Heatsink - Rapid LED

And come up with something like I put on the 12 long.

You could probably build something at 12" for $30-40 total if you have a soldering iron. We could help you through it
Old 09-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ha. Nice. I use this tank as my QT. got for $39 at petsmart.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just finished putting the sand in, bit of a dust cloud so I will wait til it settles and go from there. I'm using very fine aragonite sand, I think I want a goby/shrimp pair so I couldnt go with the heavier grain of sand that I used in a few of my tanks.

I'm thinking the goby/shrimp, an emerald crab, a sponge crab and maybe some sexy shrimp. Does anyone know if you can keep larger shrimp with sexy shrimp? I'd love to get a cleaner or fire shrimp as well. Due to the size I am very limited for livestock so it will be alot of inverts I'm guessing. lol

hey Fort, when did you set up that 12l? Thats a mr aqua right? I have been eying that one for awhile but just couldnt figure out the lighting or a stand for it. lol

Tags
aqueon, build, care

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com