Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2015, 08:00 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fw strolling through.. lose the rock and get some apistos:p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 05-13-2015, 08:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

what do those frogfish eat? Are they difficult to feed? They are super creepy but awesome at the same time! lol

Old 05-14-2015, 12:30 AM   #13
Fish R friends, not food!

I think they eat live prey. I think that is the best suggestion you have gotten. Love the looks of the frog fish. They come in all kinds of different colors too! That is the way I would go!
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:05 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
what do those frogfish eat? Are they difficult to feed? They are super creepy but awesome at the same time! lol
yeah, I think live stuff, but probably could be weaned onto frozen.

I see them all the time at a couple of the stores I frequent, ranging in price from around $50 up into the multiple hundreds for the really spectacular colored ones.
Live Aquaria calls them angler fish, which is what they are...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...85&pcatid=1685
Old 05-14-2015, 07:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

AHHH ok, anglers i have heard of. lol

I really do not want to work with a fish that requires live food, I need more information. Does anyone keep anglers on this site i can ask, does anybody know?

I put some more rock in the tank yesterday, rigged up a temporary light and have started cycling. I use the dr tims stuff so it shouldnt take long at all.

Tried some old english furniture polish on the stand, it brightened it up a little bit so might work on that. I also did not put a backing on the tank, I almost always paint them but got so excited I forgot, again. lol

The crappy walmart filter stopped working so I cracked out the old aquaclear 50, the same one that I used on my first saltwater tank, the 29 standard, a few years ago. Still works, though its a little loud now. But it's ok. Put some floss into it to pick up small matter but nothing else in there yet. The only big thing I need is some sand. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and buy some, I figure 20lbs should be plenty. Will most likely get the tiny oolite sand so I can have a sifter if the angler angle doesn't work out. SO far, my total cost for the tank is $8. Oh and had to add another heater I had around, the one in there got the water to about 100 degrees even though it was set to 75 whoopsie lol
Old 05-15-2015, 11:43 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ooo fun, another tank build! I like the idea of a Goby and Pistol Shrimp combo, and it may be easier to see them than in a larger tank! What about Sexy Shrimp? Or maybe another kind of anemone shrimp like these... Saltwater Aquarium Inverts for Marine Reef Aquariums: Venus Anemone Shrimp
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:52 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

ok instead of an octopus, how about it's cousin, a nautilus;

Old 05-21-2015, 10:46 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Still cycling. I will test tonight, it should be almost done.

Still debating what I should get as far as livestock. I am leaning towards an angler though. Is this a fish that eats anything it can fit in its mouth? I have an extra hawkfish that needs a tank soon so not sure if he;d be eaten. lol
Old 05-21-2015, 11:27 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Still cycling. I will test tonight, it should be almost done.

Still debating what I should get as far as livestock. I am leaning towards an angler though. Is this a fish that eats anything it can fit in its mouth? I have an extra hawkfish that needs a tank soon so not sure if he;d be eaten. lol
yeah, I believe so.
There are the frog fish and also what I would call true anglers that have the appendage worm thingy on their head. Lfs had one a couple months ago. It was cool to see it eat cause it would wiggle this little lure around until the fish came over than WHAM!

Saw a mimic octopus at the store yesterday.......tempting just for the uniqueness, and I have a tank that it could go into, but the $250 price tag cured my temptation.
It was pretty good sized, easily 18" from tentacle tip to tentacle tip.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:48 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, octopus are unique but to keep them you need to literally tape up every possible hole in the top. They can get out of the tiniest little itty bitty opening. lol I;ve seen stuff online and its amazing. Plus Idont think they have a very long life in home aquaria, I firmly believe they are one of the things that should be left to the oceans. They are fascinating tho, my lfs had one awhile ago and it was so creepy and just moved so weird....never asked how much cause I know better. lol

I;d like the guys that were pictured above, a pair if possible. ANd ai guess no other fish in the tank. Its only a 20l so anything bigger than them would be too big for the tank. hehe

Tags
care, dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com