Carey's Quandry- What next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Go with a deeper sand, a garden eel garden would be unique.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I used to keep freshwater eels years ago and they always found a way out of the tank. :-(

Do I need a deep sand bed for anglers? I am hoping to hit a fishie store tomorrow and will ask about special ordering a pair, if possible. And who knows what else I may come home with!! Hopefully something lol

I can't think of any reason why you would need a DSB for them.
I would suggest maybe some macro algae or even fake plants to make them more comfy as I think they like to hang out among seaweed/algae.

One store I go to occasionally seems to always have them in. I will pick the owners brain for any tips next time I am in there.

I used to keep freshwater eels years ago and they always found a way out of the tank. :-(

Do I need a deep sand bed for anglers? I am hoping to hit a fishie store tomorrow and will ask about special ordering a pair, if possible. And who knows what else I may come home with!! Hopefully something lol

Good luck! Hopefully you will find something fun and can get the Angelers you want, they are such interesting little creatures!

Thanks guys. I slacked off today and didnt get out, choose to sleep all day instead. lol

Hoping for tomorrow. I am getting a little excited at the prospect of angler(s). They are something that I have never kept before. With all the tanks I have/had I think I have had most every fish out there. lol Of course I have my favorites, which I stock every tank with, like clowns and hawkfish but this seems like a really awesome setup to have. Cant wait!

Thanks guys. I slacked off today and didnt get out, choose to sleep all day instead. lol

Hoping for tomorrow. I am getting a little excited at the prospect of angler(s). They are something that I have never kept before. With all the tanks I have/had I think I have had most every fish out there. lol Of course I have my favorites, which I stock every tank with, like clowns and hawkfish but this seems like a really awesome setup to have. Cant wait!

We all need to have those relaxing days to refuel. :) I've never kept an Angler either, they are such interesting fish! Do you remember that one someone had on here way back when that was white and maybe orange (Maybe it was Hondatek or TLTGF)? anyone, that one had great color!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It linked fine for me, gonna read thru the entire thread, I bet I learn alot. Awesome!!! Thanks so much for the link!!

It linked fine for me, gonna read thru the entire thread, I bet I learn alot. Awesome!!! Thanks so much for the link!!

No problem, I am glad I could help!

Caleb, hmmm, that is odd....maybe it is a mobile thing...sorry about that.

went to the store yesterday and he had this guy on hand for $125;
a wartskin frogfish, he is about 2";

92584-albums13974-picture68933.jpg

He said they only eat live bigger live foods such as feeder/ghost shrimp, small goldfish or guppies. He said they would pretty much ignore things like brine shrimp and worms.

So if you get one are you prepared to feed it live fish?
If so maybe set-up a small brackish tank with a few female and one male black molly.
The reason I suggest them over guppies is because the mollies will live in salt water for a long time and not die within a few minutes. That gives the angler more time/opportunity to feed.

I know in the store we used to use them occasionally to get stubborn saltwater guys to eat.

I've been doing some light research so far and it appears that alot of people have had success with frozen food, but only after feeding live foods. Apparently you do wiggle the food on a stick or in one case I read an actual fishing line with the frozen food on it.

I am really really gonna go to an lfs today, lol, in fact I am prepping to leave shortly. I am gonna pick this owners brain a bit and see what he says. I figure on actually buying it from a different store but that's in the opposite direction for today's activities. lol

I checked out Live Aquaria for some info and they have ones for like $50 or so but they aren't that colorful. I know the one store I go to has their own diver so he tends to get some really cool and odd fish. BUT I don't know the origin of these fish so not sure if that will be of any help.

I think after dealing with my mandarin and scooter and getting them on frozen/pellets that I am up for the challenge of this particular fish. Does anyone know if you can have a pair of them? Do they have to be mated or will any boy/girl combo do?
I haven't seen that info in any of the things I've read.

I hope you had fun at the LFS and found out some good information! Unfortunately, I don't know about the pair...That's cool about the LFS having a diver, talk about hand picking fish!

Back
Top Bottom