Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #141
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I can send ya a 1200w 10k bulb...corals should respond to that

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #142
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well, since I;m the inpatient type, I added back the two par38 bulbs just a little while ago and with them AND the MH the corals are already responding. My new frogspawn is opening up more than it has and the color is brilliant.

I'm starting to think maybe the 150 MH isnt strong enough or the bulb is REALLY shot. I should have my new 20k bulb by friday though so I guess i will run all three until then unless something starts to bleach out or look not so good.

This tank is gonna be trial and error I think as far as the lighting. If it were straight T5's I think it would be easier but I really wanted to do something different this time around.

I'm still holding off on adding the clowns though, wanna make sure the tank is stable. So far the clown goby and barnacle blenny are good, but then again their bioload is almost nothing they are so small. lol

Old 08-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #143
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
carey, just a FYI- corals won't stay closed if there isn't enough light, they will open more, to try and absorb extra light.
also, a 20k lamp is about the dimmest lamp you can use in a halide fixture. if you feel it's dim, you need to go with 14k or even 10k. for that extra brightness though, you'll give up blue.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #144
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ahh theres always a caveat isnt there? I really like the blue though...Maybe the MH isnt for me. I;ll know more when the new bulb gets here.

if the corals open when looking for light what would explain them opening up now with MORE light available?

water parameters are all 0 ceot trates are at about 2.5. I did a recent water change so I expect my calcium and alkalinity to be fine.

anything else i can be looking for? Or am I just changing up the lighting too fast for them to adjust? Any recommended amount of time to give them before moving on to a different option?

thanks very much!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #145
Aquarium Advice Addict

it could take a week before you see the effects from your lighting. i added 3 new lamps to my tank without shielding the corals one time, and about a week later everything started to melt. i lost football sized zoa colonies and many corals bleached. i can almost guarantee that fixture you bought had an old bulb and the new lamp might possibly be stronger (those cheapo ebay lamps are weak on PAR), so wait and see. as for the halides and color- this is why you see metal halide fixtures that have actinic supplement....so you can use a high par 14k or 10k lamp and add blue to it with cf's or t5's.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #146
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, I would agree on the MH with supplemental actinics, was just hesitant to go full out on such a small tank. These LEDs are cheaper than a MH and I think they would provide the blue I love so much.

Amazon.com: Aquarium Coral Reef Tank White Blue LED Lamb Grow Light 120W-provide light that have the same effect as natural sunlight and hence offers a very good growing habitat for green aquatic seaweeds corals fish etc: Sunvalleytek

With 25 blues and 30 whites in your opinion would that have a good blue hue? I am thisclose to just going T5's again. LOL I'm pretty good with those spectrums
Old 08-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #147
Aquarium Advice Addict

i have no idea carey. i know general LED stuff i've read. i've never owned one to be able to give you more detailed info. my opinion would be that you should buy a LED fixture you can adjust to your liking. it's worth a lot to me to be able to adjust for the perfect PAR and color.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:28 PM   #148
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I was looking at this tank and thinking hmmmm....maybe I'll add a few tiny fish to it. I want to add a yellow clown goby and maybe some others. nothing bigger than an inch or so though. I think it would be cool to have a bunch of tiny fish swimming around. LOL

Caught a shot of the blenny, right side in picture below...he is just too fast to get a full shot of him, I love feeding this guy...lol

Old 08-30-2011, 11:30 PM   #149
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Im beginning to think youre a goby/blenny hoarder lol
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:34 PM   #150
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ya know, I think your right. I want them all! getting the midas at some point for the 125g so now its on to more exotic and smaller ones. I like the black sailfin blenny on aquacon, he would be soo cool in my cube once the clowns are out.

Tags
build, led, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com