Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2011, 03:29 AM   #171
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Actually, I wasnt taking into account the upgraded filter I installed today. I was running an ac30 but went to an ac50 now. Seems like the flow may be just right. SO far no sand has stirred like it had been but I'll know more in a few days after I tidy the tank up again.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #172
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just an update. It seems my corals are acclimating well to the MH fixture. I guess I didn't give them enough time and was just being inpatient. lol

I;m still planning on the led's but for now I think the tank might do fine with what I'm using. SInce I don'r really notice the "blue" in the 20k bulb I may just order another cheapo 14k since I don't intend on keeping the mh for very long. But I do want a good spectrum for the corals and from what I;ve read with no actinic supplements the 14k would be better for them.

Anyone disagree? Or agree for that matter?
lol

Old 09-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #173
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
if the 20k lamp is putting enough PAR in the tank it's fine to use. if you aren't noticing the blue, then why buy a bulb with even less blue?
Old 09-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #174
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Oh ok. I was under the impression the 20k doesn't put out the par required for great coral growth. Any way to know other than that my corals look better than they did under the 14k old bulb?
Old 09-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #175
Aquarium Advice Addict

it depends on the bulb, the fixture, the distance from the corals in question..etc. the only way to know for sure is to use a PAR meter. all the lamps we use are full spectrum lamps, so there is enough PAR in all lamps, if the intensity is great enough.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #176
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Gotcha. I wish I had the $100 or so to buy my own light meter, it would be interesting to see what they are all actually putting out.

I went with the cheapest ebay bulbs so I didnt' expect much going in but it's kinda growing on me. lol It's for sure better than the almost blackened 14k that came with the jbj fixture. My ricordeas are actually fully openign now as well as my duncans. They seemed a bit limp and not vibrant before the bulb switcheroo.

I love learning new stuff! It makes my day.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #177
Aquarium Advice Addict

an entry level PAR meter is about 350 bucks.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #178
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

eeek. I saw light meters on aquacave for like $100 but I guess it doesnt include the par rating. Bummer. You can rent like anything these days, I wish I had an lfs that would rent me out one of those gadgets.

I will have to take things as they come I suppose. back to the patience thing again. Oh how I love waiting things out....lol
Old 09-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #179
Aquarium Advice Addict

we have a few reef clubs in the area that have them and share them, or sort of rent them to the members. do you have any local clubs near you?
Old 09-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #180
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thats one thing I have never inquired about, reef clubs. I assume there are plenty considering I'm in Florida. I just have a serious phobia about people, actually its a really serious issue in my life so I'm not the social type if you know what I mean. I may do some searching anyways, maybe I'll get brave enough to meet up with some people. My shrink keeps Koi and he even has a koi club he meets with so theres gotta be options here for SW fiends.

Just gotta get up the nerve...lol

Tags
build, led, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com