Carey's Rimless LED Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The frag plugs that each coral is attached to? i did some fragging this week and mounted most of the smaller ones and put some in other tanks too.

Ok, so do the coral always stay attached to these plugs? What is the purpose of them, to keep the coral in a specified location?

Sorry for all the questions. I've always loved SW tanks and especially the corals.

It's used to place small corals on so that they can grow. what will happen is the coral will completely overtake the plug and after awhile you won't see it anymore. This is very true for zooa's, they can overtake a plug and the surrounding rock in a few weeks. lol

The plug is also used to propagate corals, if you splice off a piece of coral the best place to put it is on a frag disk with some super glue. :-D

The disks arent pretty but they will soon match the live rock in color and once the coral grows over it no worries. LOL

See all the new stuff I've learned today? I can take the rest of the day off! :D

Thanks, Carey. I really enjoy watching your tank evolve.

I threw off my whole buying fish on friday this week lol. I was in the area of my favorite LFS so I figured I'd stop in. :)

I was in there primarily to price out a 24 x 24 x 24 rimless cube setup to upgrade this 20g tank. Still undecided if I will get it or not but I now know what I'm up against as far as price and lighting etc....

So today I bought a neat teeny tiny frag of a, I think anyway, moonglow or moonburst monti. It unfortunately broke in 2 pieces on the way home but I reglued them both to a plug and hopefully they will heal up and grow.

What I'm really excited about is I got a hang on back refugium for this tank. I plan on adding some sand, cheato and maybe a few scraps of rock. It only holds a half gallon but it's actually pretty cool. :) I was using an air pump to circulate the water from the tank and into it but I think i will get a very small rio pump and use that instead.

that's it for updates on this tank, other than that I've been playing musical corals for the last week or so. Just can't find the sweet spot for a bunch of them. lol But I'm trying....New light is awesome still, it may be a bit too much light for some of my corals but that's where the re-arranging comes in.
:-D

img_1645833_0_0646e1159cc0554844077058ac519614.jpg

carey said:
I threw off my whole buying fish on friday this week lol. I was in the area of my favorite LFS so I figured I'd stop in. :)

I was in there primarily to price out a 24 x 24 x 24 rimless cube setup to upgrade this 20g tank. Still undecided if I will get it or not but I now know what I'm up against as far as price and lighting etc....

So today I bought a neat teeny tiny frag of a, I think anyway, moonglow or moonburst monti. It unfortunately broke in 2 pieces on the way home but I reglued them both to a plug and hopefully they will heal up and grow.

What I'm really excited about is I got a hang on back refugium for this tank. I plan on adding some sand, cheato and maybe a few scraps of rock. It only holds a half gallon but it's actually pretty cool. :) I was using an air pump to circulate the water from the tank and into it but I think i will get a very small rio pump and use that instead.

that's it for updates on this tank, other than that I've been playing musical corals for the last week or so. Just can't find the sweet spot for a bunch of them. lol But I'm trying....New light is awesome still, it may be a bit too much light for some of my corals but that's where the re-arranging comes in.
:-D

Very cool, does the new coral "glow"?

I don't have the blues only on yet, I bet it will. It has tiny little dots on it that are neon green so it should look awesome once it grows big enough. he had a mother colony but it was like several hundred dollars lol. And it wasn't even that big.

Awesome! Well you will have to post pics when your blue is on! :)

Yours will become large as the mother colony soon enough! :)

It's kinda orange for the background and has little green specks. Here are some pics, best i can do, the pieces are so small. are moonburst good ones? lol i don't know, i just like to get the pretty ones.

img_1646282_0_d2c5c616346b20619f994378451267f0.jpg

img_1646282_1_f8b2b58482204e97dab15dfc563ca540.jpg

img_1646282_2_ca3fa7cc66a935d54a714c3d36d2bf0c.jpg

Wow, that looks even better than his mother colony! I figure it will grow so I'm in no rush. It was only $5 and it honestly looked much better in one piece. It also fell off the frag plug he had it on.

Any special care required? or just another monti?

It's kinda orange for the background and has little green specks. Here are some pics, best i can do, the pieces are so small. are moonburst good ones? lol i don't know, i just like to get the pretty ones.

img_1646479_0_d2c5c616346b20619f994378451267f0.jpg

img_1646479_1_f8b2b58482204e97dab15dfc563ca540.jpg

img_1646479_2_ca3fa7cc66a935d54a714c3d36d2bf0c.jpg

Looks nice, it may be small, but good things come in small packages (except for when it comes to aquarium sizes, lol)

I was only running a metal halide, never got to the leds part. LOL I'm still in the market but it was gonna be a lot of trouble to mount them so I passed for the time being.

I just sold a 20L community tank so I now have the room to move the tank and I can possibly mount some leds. Just taking my time I guess....LOL

Do you know where I could find the Marina Holding and breeding box? I've checked online but can't seem to find one.

Back
Top Bottom