Carey's Rimless LED Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wow. I was kinda thinking I was a bad fishkeeper. But if it happens to others it can't be my fault 100%. lol I feel a bit better now. Thanks guys!

still no sign of the fangtooth blenny either. I;m sure he's gone...when I went tobed last night he was asleep under the mag float as usual and this morning nothing. Not even for food.

All this loosing fish stuff has got me to thinking maybe I have too much rock in my tanks. When the 20g gets its upgrade I am totally not going overboard with rock. At least i can find a deceased fish that way. Not even sure if i should dismantle this tank and try to find him, dead or alive...he was the biggest fish in the tank...and my cuc is very small

I am really sorry about that Carey, it isn't your fault though, we know that you keep your parameters pristine. :)

Thanks redsea. :) I do try my best. :)

I just did a water change too but I did dose flatworm exit so maybe that had something to do with it. Not sure....None of the other fish seem bothered and I did a 50% water change right after I dosed with the stuff so I'm hoping I didn't poison the fish. :-(

carey said:
Thanks redsea. :) I do try my best. :)

I just did a water change too but I did dose flatworm exit so maybe that had something to do with it. Not sure....None of the other fish seem bothered and I did a 50% water change right after I dosed with the stuff so I'm hoping I didn't poison the fish. :-(

I'm sure that you didn't poison them, you followed the directions. :)

Found the fangtooth, his body floated out from under the rocks. :-( had to remove the left side of the rocks to get at him. Poor thing, he wasn't marked up or anything, just dead.

Thanks lynda, I appreciate that. I'll miss him, he was the only fish i had that actually was a "swimmer" always swimming about.

Update on the flatworm situation. After 2 treatments I still have a couple left. grrr....looks like I am going to have to do one more. I've been working on building a frag rack today and I hope to have all the frags in this tank properly seated in my 125g before I treat again. The corals and fish didn't much care for the flatworm exit...

carey said:
Thanks lynda, I appreciate that. I'll miss him, he was the only fish i had that actually was a "swimmer" always swimming about.

Update on the flatworm situation. After 2 treatments I still have a couple left. grrr....looks like I am going to have to do one more. I've been working on building a frag rack today and I hope to have all the frags in this tank properly seated in my 125g before I treat again. The corals and fish didn't much care for the flatworm exit...

I don't want to rain on your parade,but even flatworm exit is not going to completely eradicate your flatworms.It will greatly reduce them,but you will never completely get rid of them,because a few in your rocks will always survive.Set up a siphon hose running into a media bag where you can occasionally siphon some into the bag in the sump,then wash them out of the bag.The times I have used it,even following directions exactly,I have always lost a fish, Wrasse one time and scooter blenny another.
I have heard that sometimes they do disappear eventually.But don't know for a fact.

mine did. i had a massive outbreak a few years ago. i did introduce 2 wrasses, and i read that these flatworms are ambush predators that eat pods, so it's possible i starved them out introducing pod eaters...or it could have been just that they starved themselves out.

The good news is that I plan on upgrading this tank in the upcoming year to a 60g cube. I will be starting with all new sand and rock.

When I do this will a dip in coralrx be enough to make sure the flatworms don't hitch a ride to the new tank?

I was planning on doing another treatment this weekend too, I mean it killed the majority of them the first time, left maybe a few hundred. Now I;m down to a few dozen that i can see.

Would removing the corals and fish be of any help? I mean I could let the treatment go for the full 45 minutes and then do a huge water change or two and put the livestock back in. Or is that overthinking this? LOL

carey said:
The good news is that I plan on upgrading this tank in the upcoming year to a 60g cube. I will be starting with all new sand and rock.

When I do this will a dip in coralrx be enough to make sure the flatworms don't hitch a ride to the new tank?

I was planning on doing another treatment this weekend too, I mean it killed the majority of them the first time, left maybe a few hundred. Now I;m down to a few dozen that i can see.

Would removing the corals and fish be of any help? I mean I could let the treatment go for the full 45 minutes and then do a huge water change or two and put the livestock back in. Or is that overthinking this? LOL

I couldn't say on the fish,but if you remove some of your corals put them in a dip mixture,you will see a lot of the worms come off of them.Hopefully you will be fortunate like mr_X and yours will eventually disappear.I still spot a few in my tank occasionally and siphon them out.

So far pretty good. I noticed some pods in the cheato the other day so I guess thats a good sign. lol I havent put any sand in it though, just rock and macro.

I kinda plan on selling this 20g sometime next year and upgrading to a 60g cube rimless. lol Not sure what I want to do with the sand, I may just skip it.

carey said:
So far pretty good. I noticed some pods in the cheato the other day so I guess thats a good sign. lol I havent put any sand in it though, just rock and macro.

I kinda plan on selling this 20g sometime next year and upgrading to a 60g cube rimless. lol Not sure what I want to do with the sand, I may just skip it.

lol Yea I already want to upgrade my tank. I'm going to go with miracle mud for my substrate. It's $8 for 1 1/2lbs which should be enough for the refuge right? If not I can add live sand to make it a deep sand bed.http://www.marinedepot.com/Fiji_Mud...er_Aquariums-Walt_Smith-WS1111-FISSMD-vi.html

Yep should be enough, if not too much. lol I havent used that mud before and have seen alot of people diss it, but for $8 I think it might be an ok investment. Let us know how it works out for you.

I was wondering the same thing about a DSB, not sure if it would be worth it being as the surface area is kinda small. I was only gonna add an inch or two in mine if I ever add sand. lol

This tank is kinda in chaos right now though. I removed most of the corals and put them in my 55g for now. I have a horrible outbreak of flatworms and would prefer treating the tank with the corals out. So yep, this tank is an utter and total mess. LOL

carey said:
Yep should be enough, if not too much. lol I havent used that mud before and have seen alot of people diss it, but for $8 I think it might be an ok investment. Let us know how it works out for you.

I was wondering the same thing about a DSB, not sure if it would be worth it being as the surface area is kinda small. I was only gonna add an inch or two in mine if I ever add sand. lol

This tank is kinda in chaos right now though. I removed most of the corals and put them in my 55g for now. I have a horrible outbreak of flatworms and would prefer treating the tank with the corals out. So yep, this tank is an utter and total mess. LOL

I'll be sure to let you know. Newyorksteelo has his review on it on YouTube. He said his corals opened up within a couple days and his nitrates reduced. Is there any chance you have a picture of the refugium. All this excitement is killing me lmao. Also good luck with the flatworms. I'll be sure to dip my corals lol.

Here's an update on this tank finally. I took out almost all the rock except for like 2 pieces and I had all the corals out and in the 55g so I treated AGAIN with the flatworm exit. After vacuuming up the little bodies and a HUGE water change I think I may have gotten them all finally.

I then moved the frag rack I made outta egg crate from the 55g and put it in this tank. So it's a couple rocks and a frag rack. LOL Looks so empty now but I think I will leave it this way until I do my next upgrade into the 60g cube. There's only 4 fish which seem to be ok without all the rock. I also believe I got most of the bristleworms out as well, as I saw several on the rocks I moved out. woot! LOL Also moved the duncan to the 125g, it was getting way big in this tank so hopefully it does well over there.:)

Anyways, you guys know I love my camera so here are some pictures. The first one is how the tank WAS, overfilled with rock. The other two are how it is now. I like how I can see the corals really up close on the rack, just noticed my blasto(?) is sprouting 3 new heads!

img_1700053_0_7e50e312d40f022effe3886ba2b41a34.jpg

img_1700053_1_c158e0f50d761e710267dd1b3927856a.jpg

img_1700053_2_46feae96c4fcce93a2bf2a9d578f33f4.jpg

carey said:
Here's an update on this tank finally. I took out almost all the rock except for like 2 pieces and I had all the corals out and in the 55g so I treated AGAIN with the flatworm exit. After vacuuming up the little bodies and a HUGE water change I think I may have gotten them all finally.

I then moved the frag rack I made outta egg crate from the 55g and put it in this tank. So it's a couple rocks and a frag rack. LOL Looks so empty now but I think I will leave it this way until I do my next upgrade into the 60g cube. There's only 4 fish which seem to be ok without all the rock. I also believe I got most of the bristleworms out as well, as I saw several on the rocks I moved out. woot! LOL Also moved the duncan to the 125g, it was getting way big in this tank so hopefully it does well over there.:)

Anyways, you guys know I love my camera so here are some pictures. The first one is how the tank WAS, overfilled with rock. The other two are how it is now. I like how I can see the corals really up close on the rack, just noticed my blasto(?) is sprouting 3 new heads!

Nice. How much did you spend on corals only?

I have no idea. LOL I just buy em every week and don't keep track. I probably wouldnt buy as much if I had a grand total. hehe...

As a rule I don't go over $40 for a coral unless it's something special or one that I want badly for my tank(s).

carey said:
I have no idea. LOL I just buy em every week and don't keep track. I probably wouldnt buy as much if I had a grand total. hehe...

As a rule I don't go over $40 for a coral unless it's something special or one that I want badly for my tank(s).

Lol I wish I could get coral cheap around here. In MD frags are $40 and no one replies on CL

Back
Top Bottom