Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks nemo, appreciate the feedback. Wouldn't ya know it though, I was looking on craigslist and there was a 20g rimless full setup for $250. :-( I paid $100 for the tank and filter setup. I have an email out tohim and I might just return the new setup and buy the used one. Even has a remora nano skimmer and t5 lighting. So I guess I'll just continue with my plans either way.

My next thoughts are for the substrate. Since the Marina comes with black silicone do you think black sand would be too much black or would it be a good contrast. I;ve had issues with cleaning the black sand in my pico, it shows everything...BUT in a 20g I should be able to clean it better since I can actually get in there.

What says the forum? LOL Black sand or regular white? I'm trying to buy and order everything I need over the next few days so I'm ready next week for the setup.

Any thoughts guys? or how about you lurkers, join the forum and comejoin me on my newest build. LOL

Old 08-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm saying Black sand - I loved it in your PICO

Old 08-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i like the reflective qualities of white sand.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very good point Mr. X!
Old 08-19-2011, 09:56 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have been considering that and since this will be a coral tank primarily that might be the way to go. I think I'll pick up some tomorrow.

Substrate color chosen! woohoo! LOL

The rock is easy, I was gonna order 20 maybe 25 lbs of smallish pieces and add the 5-8 lbs I have in the pico as well.

I'm still torn about using the stock filter that came with the tank. The aquaclear is my favorite filter and I happen to have an extra AC30. BUT the stock filter is way way thin and looks pretty awesome on the tank. BUT I was planning on adding a nano skimmer, probably a remora one ( I know, but I love my other one) and I'm not so sure it will fit with the wide slim stock filter.

This build is going nicely so far, pretty easy I'd say for now. The only thing I really need is a stand, and nope, I can't make one myself. lol I saw a nice sleek one for $65 and a clunky one for $85. The sleek one has to be assembled though. :-( Might have to enlist the b/f for that.

I also emptied the old 10g that is where I'm gonna put this new one. So almost ready for the stand. haven't even taken the tank out of my car yet. lol
Old 08-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

skip the remora! there are much better skimmers out there!
Old 08-19-2011, 10:27 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

LOL, I know your feelings about the remoras. hehehe

But as far as hang on back and small? The best I see is the aquaticlife one and I believe thats an internal one. Do you have any suggestions X?
Old 08-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

what about a reef octopus? they make HOB skimmers. some pretty potent ones too.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hmm off to aquacave to check it out. lol I thought they were meant for way larger tanks. I have a 24" length to play with and 15 inches in height I believe.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:33 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

oops...sorry, i misread. i was thinking this tank a bit larger. surf too many threads, and i start putting 2 and 3 threads together....
what about the tunze nano skimmer?

Tags
build, led, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com