Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #361
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Since I changed the water today I just couldn't help myself, I added another 10lbs of base rock and re arranged most of the corals. I'm also debating on whether to move some coral frags from their plug and moving them to a flat plug rather than the ones with the the long piece on the bottom. Having a heck of a time finding spots for those guys, I'm actually running out of room in this tank now. LOL I'm sure I will tinker with this tank again soon, I'm still not 100% pleased with the look.

I am also thinking it's time to change the lighting. I'm thinking either a 4 bulb cheap T5 setup or a 250w odyssea metal halide fixture. Would 250w be too much for this tank?

Any input would be great guys, I'm kinda torn between which lighting to get.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #362
Aquarium Advice Addict

They have LED fixtures now!!

Old 10-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #363
Aquarium Advice Freak

From what I've been reading why an Odyssea? They all replace the bulbs, fan and ballast. Why not go for a good one to begin with and save yourself the hassle? Still using my Sunpod, but if I have to replace it, I'm thinking of this unit.
http://www.marinedepot.com/Aqua_Medi...FIMHMT-vi.html
Old 10-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #364
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschmitt
From what I've been reading why an Odyssea? They all replace the bulbs, fan and ballast. Why not go for a good one to begin with and save yourself the hassle? Still using my Sunpod, but if I have to replace it, I'm thinking of this unit.
http://www.marinedepot.com/Aqua_Medi...FIMHMT-vi.html
I've had my Oddysea Metal Hallide fixture for a bit over a year now. And I haven't replaced anything but the bulbs which I only did once and that only costed me 60 for 2 t5s and 2 250w 20000k bulbs. The fixture becomes warm but not really hot and I don't see which metal hallide fixtures don't. It seems as if they used to make bad models but the ones they have now are cheap and work efficiently keeping all the corals I used to have including SPS, LPS, Shrooms, clams, brains and more.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #365
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
what are you lighting the tank with now ( sorry, i skipped a few hundred pages...lol)? i wouldn't go with a halide at this point. what's wrong with your LEDs?
Old 10-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #366
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I never got around to the Leds', running a single 150w metal halide fixture now, a clip on version. I'm just not feeling that this light is enough for the corals, while they aren't dying or fading I just think they can do better. I also had hopes of adding a clam at some point soon. And some other hard corals.

I was thinking the odyssea just as far as price point, I really can't afford the LED's I want and would like an upgrade. I also would love to have blues in addition to the halide, I kinda miss having the blues and whites cycle. And I would really really love moonlights, Odyssea is one of the few halide fixtures that come with them.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #367
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, why not try them then? I'm just cautious because of the ridiculous low price. To me that just means low quality materials. JMO, considering I paid about $350 for my 150 watt 20" Sunpod (which still is kicking after many years).
Old 10-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #368
Aquarium Advice Addict

save up for the LED fixture. don't settle. get an aqua illuminations SOL blue.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #369
Aquarium Advice Addict

Or get a 150w Hallide with 2 T5HO actinic. That will provide you with lots of blue
Old 10-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #370
Aquarium Advice Addict

she's got a 150. that's the reason she's unhappy..lol. a couple actinics aren't going to make the difference she's looking for.

Tags
build, led, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com