Carey's Rimless LED Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm in the same boat, I can't hang any fixtures from the ceiling because of the height and the slope. I'm sure it could be done but I think it would look tacky having like 10-14 feet of cable hanging down.

I'm still at a crossroad as far as going LED or MH. I don't think the heat transfer would be that bad so I'm not worried about that. I just wanted a clean different looking tank. This is probably (really this time) my last build so I wanna make it special. Plus it's a showcase tank for corals, fish are just secondary.

Anyone have any ideas on how to mount something that hangs over the tank by legs? What if I took a 24" fixture, gutted it and added led strips int here? or would that just be plain tacky? And on that note, how many of the strips would I need?

Here is a linkf or the perfect setup but no way can I afford it. But they do sell the stand part only for $90 Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: ecoxotic Panorama LED Fixtures.

But again I have no idea on how many strips I'd need.

Ho hum another day of searching the internet for options.

Wow carey you work fast! By the time I noticed this thread the tanks was already mostly set up!

Carey have you checked the aquaticlife LEDs

Do you have a link? Sorry to be a nudge, I've just been lookign at SOOO many I'm getting blurry eyed and I forget which ones I've seen.

So far I really like one panel but they are out of australia LOL. Price is right though and it comes with a 3 year warranty. Wonder if they ship overseas and how much it would be.....hmmmm
lol

see i have no direction really....just kinda jumping from idea to idea

Did my water tests this morning and came up with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 2.5 nitrates. I moved over the pico last night and the corals havent looked this good since I got them. I think the pcio was a cool idea but I don't think my corals thrived as much as they could in such a small tank.

How long should i wait before adding in the clowns I got the other day? maybe wauit another week or so? Make sure the biofilter can handle that much fish? I do have a 1/2 inch clown goby in there but I don't think he is contributing very much as far as bioload. lol

I am also most likely gonna buy the barnacle blenny I have been coveting for months and he will arrive this week.

Too much too soon I suppose? I did get 20 lbs of seasoned live rock from an established tank and I added some of the rock from the pico as well. I'm surprised I only saw a .5 ammonia spike when adding it though adn I must have missed the nitrites. lol

The barnacle blenny is a tiny fish as well. The clown will be the biggest thing I add. And thats about it for stocking fish in this new tank.

I'm thinking on adding the blenny this week and then waiting another week or two for the clowns, they are in the cube now and seem happy enough where they are. lol BUT my yellow watchman is still white, I think the presence of the clowns is stressing him out big time so I would rather move the clowns sooner than later.

Corals dont really add to the bioload do they? I have at least half a dozen in this tank already and was hoping to get more this weekend. :)

Any thoughts always welcome!

ordered the barnacle blenny today and added his barnacles for him to live in. :)

I was looking on ebay and found two marineland reef ready lights for somewhat cheap, anyone think 2 of these units would be better than the PAR38 bulbs? If I can get the 2 for $200 or less it would be a great deal as they are $153 I think each. And the ebay ones are new. Just gotta wait a few more days.

i also lost out on the tunze skimmer, it went to over $100 and a new one is only $150 so I passed. There is a remora nano that ends tomorrow that is so far cheap so I may get that one.

**Mr X if you're reading this, forgive me, I know you hate them LOL

carey said:
Do you have a link? Sorry to be a nudge, I've just been lookign at SOOO many I'm getting blurry eyed and I forget which ones I've seen.

So far I really like one panel but they are out of australia LOL. Price is right though and it comes with a 3 year warranty. Wonder if they ship overseas and how much it would be.....hmmmm
lol

see i have no direction really....just kinda jumping from idea to idea

http://www.aquaticlife.com/

That's exactly the type of fixture I want, but they are only .5 watt leds. Great link though, I m bookmarking it

So need some advice on powerheads. I know I want koralias, no doubt about that.

I have a single 750 in this tank now and am having serious sand issues so I need to downgrade. But to what? I was thinking of adding the 425 from the cube and buying another 425. OR just getting new new 550's for this coral tank. The cube can handle the 750's by the way for whatever reason. But if I get 2 new ones I can keep the 75o for salt mixing.

The price is the same within a few cents for both the 425 and the 550. Since this tank is supposed to be all coral I was thinking the high flow would be better. But that's what I thought about the 750 in there. LOL

Whatcha guys think? 2 new 550's or use 425's? The filter I;m using is an AC 30 and it';s also moving around quite a bit of sand. the tank is only 15 inches tall and 3 inches of that is sand so I've got like 12 inches to play with as far as moving sand around.

Sorry this is a bit off topic but back to the point, my 90l aqua el tank is, judging by what you have posted, rimless. The aqua el tanks come rimless with black silicone, with a plastic tray for it to sit in, to look like a base, and a hood with (crappy) lights. My two tanks have never broke or cracked or had any problems since I got them. They are cheap, and normally come with a sponge filter, but you can put other media inside and heater included too. I hadn't thought of them as rimless until now, but take away the plastic bottom thing, which does nothing apart from the look, and its the same as the mr aqua.

Sorry again just wanted to let you guys in on my discovery.

Let us know how that goes, cause my next project is just around the corner and I've been waiting to see what you go with.

It's about 24"x18"x18". 40ish gallons.

img_1513488_0_2d7c4cde5584c0e2a8ddc431440c8b97.jpg

Guy seems to really like it and it has really good spread in that tank.

Amazon.com: Aquarium Coral Reef Tank White Blue LED Lamb Grow Light 120W-provide light that have the same effect as natural sunlight and hence offers a very good growing habitat for green aquatic seaweeds corals fish etc: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Apparently these are pretty good for the price. The cooling fans are cheap but they have the 4 pin molex connectors like regular pc fans. So you can change them.

They use 3 watt semi led's and one user has a single one over a 56G tank with anemone and he says everything is thriving . You can also change out the LED's so in the future you can go with newer cree models down the line

they are the same as the ALIBABA.com lights from what owners are saying .

I'm still stuck on how to mount them though. The stripes seem like the way to go but Ihave no idea how to get them over the tank without some kind of bracket. I've been looking at DJ can light mounting but it is 6 feet tall and thats a bit too high for my tank. lol

So before the storm i figured I;d take some new photos of the tank as it is now. I added the rest of the pico rock towards the back as I figure it will give me a better base for corals. I;m over 25lbs of rock so far and was planning on adding more to make some shelves for more corals. Not so sure anymore it looks pretty full of rock. LOL

But anyways here are the pictures

img_1513783_0_c001dba1e76436616ac7d788af48f0e1.jpg

img_1513783_1_2b26fca9f6695e9a3a7c656ebb9ec4bb.jpg

img_1513783_2_5ada5e57812d0e9e140ba968e033d44a.jpg

I'm fixing to buy the two new koralia 550's very soon so hopefully the sand shifting will stop. My corals keep falling down. LOL

Still testing at 0 ammonia and nitrites and about 5 on the nitrates. So it looks like a had a day long blip and the biofilter took care of the rest. I am so happy, was worried I moved everything too soon. Still gonna wait a wek or two to move the clowns over and whenever my barnacle blenny gets here
I';ll be adding that before the clowns. Idon't think they will be shipping the blenny til after the storm passes so i can understand the delay. Plus the blenny is about an inch long so his bioload shouldnt really impact the tank I'm hoping anyways. lol

It's thursday and I usually go aquaria shopping on thursday or friday but I may stay in cause of the storm, I wanna be here in case something goes wrong.

Is your tank open top if it is you could hang it some how form the ceiling

I really wish I could do that, make things so much simpler. But the ceiling starts at about 10 feet high and is on a slope. I also cant use the back wall cause its against a window. :-( I would love to setup a plant hanging shelf on the wall and just hang from there but alas the stupid window is there.

Back
Top Bottom