Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-10-2011, 09:52 PM   #401
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks so much. I'm so glad I finally got my clam. Tank is getting there...

Old 11-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #402
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
The frag plugs that each coral is attached to? i did some fragging this week and mounted most of the smaller ones and put some in other tanks too.
Ok, so do the coral always stay attached to these plugs? What is the purpose of them, to keep the coral in a specified location?

Sorry for all the questions. I've always loved SW tanks and especially the corals.

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #403
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It's used to place small corals on so that they can grow. what will happen is the coral will completely overtake the plug and after awhile you won't see it anymore. This is very true for zooa's, they can overtake a plug and the surrounding rock in a few weeks. lol

The plug is also used to propagate corals, if you splice off a piece of coral the best place to put it is on a frag disk with some super glue.

The disks arent pretty but they will soon match the live rock in color and once the coral grows over it no worries. LOL
Old 11-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #404
Aquarium Advice Addict

See all the new stuff I've learned today? I can take the rest of the day off!

Thanks, Carey. I really enjoy watching your tank evolve.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #405
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks lynda, I appreciate that. If ypu have any more questions feel free to ask.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #406
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I threw off my whole buying fish on friday this week lol. I was in the area of my favorite LFS so I figured I'd stop in.

I was in there primarily to price out a 24 x 24 x 24 rimless cube setup to upgrade this 20g tank. Still undecided if I will get it or not but I now know what I'm up against as far as price and lighting etc....

So today I bought a neat teeny tiny frag of a, I think anyway, moonglow or moonburst monti. It unfortunately broke in 2 pieces on the way home but I reglued them both to a plug and hopefully they will heal up and grow.

What I'm really excited about is I got a hang on back refugium for this tank. I plan on adding some sand, cheato and maybe a few scraps of rock. It only holds a half gallon but it's actually pretty cool. I was using an air pump to circulate the water from the tank and into it but I think i will get a very small rio pump and use that instead.

that's it for updates on this tank, other than that I've been playing musical corals for the last week or so. Just can't find the sweet spot for a bunch of them. lol But I'm trying....New light is awesome still, it may be a bit too much light for some of my corals but that's where the re-arranging comes in.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #407
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I threw off my whole buying fish on friday this week lol. I was in the area of my favorite LFS so I figured I'd stop in.

I was in there primarily to price out a 24 x 24 x 24 rimless cube setup to upgrade this 20g tank. Still undecided if I will get it or not but I now know what I'm up against as far as price and lighting etc....

So today I bought a neat teeny tiny frag of a, I think anyway, moonglow or moonburst monti. It unfortunately broke in 2 pieces on the way home but I reglued them both to a plug and hopefully they will heal up and grow.

What I'm really excited about is I got a hang on back refugium for this tank. I plan on adding some sand, cheato and maybe a few scraps of rock. It only holds a half gallon but it's actually pretty cool. I was using an air pump to circulate the water from the tank and into it but I think i will get a very small rio pump and use that instead.

that's it for updates on this tank, other than that I've been playing musical corals for the last week or so. Just can't find the sweet spot for a bunch of them. lol But I'm trying....New light is awesome still, it may be a bit too much light for some of my corals but that's where the re-arranging comes in.

Very cool, does the new coral "glow"?
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #408
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I don't have the blues only on yet, I bet it will. It has tiny little dots on it that are neon green so it should look awesome once it grows big enough. he had a mother colony but it was like several hundred dollars lol. And it wasn't even that big.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #409
Aquarium Advice Addict

Awesome! Well you will have to post pics when your blue is on!

Yours will become large as the mother colony soon enough!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #410
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
sunset monti? never heard of moonburst. i would love to see a pic.

Tags
build, led, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com