Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #461
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

wow. I was kinda thinking I was a bad fishkeeper. But if it happens to others it can't be my fault 100%. lol I feel a bit better now. Thanks guys!

still no sign of the fangtooth blenny either. I;m sure he's gone...when I went tobed last night he was asleep under the mag float as usual and this morning nothing. Not even for food.

All this loosing fish stuff has got me to thinking maybe I have too much rock in my tanks. When the 20g gets its upgrade I am totally not going overboard with rock. At least i can find a deceased fish that way. Not even sure if i should dismantle this tank and try to find him, dead or alive...he was the biggest fish in the tank...and my cuc is very small

Old 11-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #462
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am really sorry about that Carey, it isn't your fault though, we know that you keep your parameters pristine.

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #463
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks redsea. I do try my best.

I just did a water change too but I did dose flatworm exit so maybe that had something to do with it. Not sure....None of the other fish seem bothered and I did a 50% water change right after I dosed with the stuff so I'm hoping I didn't poison the fish. :-(
Old 11-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #464
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Thanks redsea. I do try my best.

I just did a water change too but I did dose flatworm exit so maybe that had something to do with it. Not sure....None of the other fish seem bothered and I did a 50% water change right after I dosed with the stuff so I'm hoping I didn't poison the fish. :-(
I'm sure that you didn't poison them, you followed the directions.
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #465
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Found the fangtooth, his body floated out from under the rocks. :-( had to remove the left side of the rocks to get at him. Poor thing, he wasn't marked up or anything, just dead.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #466
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's a bummer, Carey...... but at least you found him, sorry for your loss.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #467
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks lynda, I appreciate that. I'll miss him, he was the only fish i had that actually was a "swimmer" always swimming about.

Update on the flatworm situation. After 2 treatments I still have a couple left. grrr....looks like I am going to have to do one more. I've been working on building a frag rack today and I hope to have all the frags in this tank properly seated in my 125g before I treat again. The corals and fish didn't much care for the flatworm exit...
Old 12-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #468
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Thanks lynda, I appreciate that. I'll miss him, he was the only fish i had that actually was a "swimmer" always swimming about.

Update on the flatworm situation. After 2 treatments I still have a couple left. grrr....looks like I am going to have to do one more. I've been working on building a frag rack today and I hope to have all the frags in this tank properly seated in my 125g before I treat again. The corals and fish didn't much care for the flatworm exit...
I don't want to rain on your parade,but even flatworm exit is not going to completely eradicate your flatworms.It will greatly reduce them,but you will never completely get rid of them,because a few in your rocks will always survive.Set up a siphon hose running into a media bag where you can occasionally siphon some into the bag in the sump,then wash them out of the bag.The times I have used it,even following directions exactly,I have always lost a fish, Wrasse one time and scooter blenny another.
I have heard that sometimes they do disappear eventually.But don't know for a fact.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #469
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
mine did. i had a massive outbreak a few years ago. i did introduce 2 wrasses, and i read that these flatworms are ambush predators that eat pods, so it's possible i starved them out introducing pod eaters...or it could have been just that they starved themselves out.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #470
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The good news is that I plan on upgrading this tank in the upcoming year to a 60g cube. I will be starting with all new sand and rock.

When I do this will a dip in coralrx be enough to make sure the flatworms don't hitch a ride to the new tank?

I was planning on doing another treatment this weekend too, I mean it killed the majority of them the first time, left maybe a few hundred. Now I;m down to a few dozen that i can see.

Would removing the corals and fish be of any help? I mean I could let the treatment go for the full 45 minutes and then do a huge water change or two and put the livestock back in. Or is that overthinking this? LOL

Tags
build, led, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com