Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Got my stand, still in the box as the b/f is in bed but I hope to have it put together today which means I can start with my sand. I've been thinking about getting some live rock instead of base rock as I have a guy I buy lots of stuff from and he charges only $2 a lb. It would also make the cycle non existent I believe between his seasoned live rock and the rock I have in the pico. Was also gonna run the pico filter for awhile as well as it should have some good bacteria on it already.

So I may have an up and running tank in just a few days.

So what do you guys think will be a good sand consistency for a coral tank? I won't have any sifters or burrowers so I was leaning towards the cheapo super fine sand from petco.

AND should I paint the back glass or just put a black background on? I'm leaning towards the background.....

Old 08-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a good plan, I'm not sure about the sand, I'll let others chime in there, but I agree with you that a background would be easier and most likely look more "professional" than paint.

Can't wait to see the build happen!

Old 08-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Activist

Black limo tint looks good and it's not permanent and stays on good
Old 08-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Picked up 30lbs of a fine white sand today. Still don't have the stand put together though, gonna try to start it myself soon. LOL

I totally forgot to get the background for the tank though, I HATE when I spazz out and forget something I went to a store for. I even remembered to get new suction cups for the heater bit forgot the background. grrr.....

On another note I found this on ebay

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices.

I'm thinking I'm gonna pick it up if the bidding doesnt go too high. The new ones are $150. Only issue with the ebay one is it's been modded to fit in a cube, but otherwise it looks ok. What do you guys think?

I'm also gonna make a call tomorrow and see if i can get some live rock, of course thats if I can get the tank up and running tonight. lol

Any thoughts guys? I'm getting so excited to finally move my pico into this new tank. The corals are everywhere lol. Plus Ithink I need to move my new b&w clowns from my cube as they are stressing out my watchman goby. he isnt yellow anymore, he's almost pure white.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:12 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

So today is almost over and still no stand. :-( I have the water already mixed and ready to go so just need the stand to move along. I;m gonna try to put it together myself now, might be able to do it.

Then tomorrow I add the sand and hopefully pick up some live rock. Once I get that all in the tank I can dose some ammonia and see where that takes me. The live rock will be coming from an established tank so I expect a quick cycle, figured I'd bring buckets and transport the rock totally submerged.

I'm kinda bored so any suggestions at all are appreciated.

I'd also like any input on the skimmer and other stuff I mentioned earlier.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Woot! It wasn't as easy as I thought but I got the stand together and the tank set up on it. Planning on adding my sand shortly and the water.

Gotta call my guy and see if I can pick up the live rock today too!

here's the pictures thus far....Looks better in person in my opinion. lol

Old 08-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sand is in! I added the 30lbs and it made quite the deep sand bed. Looks to be at least 2-3 inches. Hoping I didn't go overboard.

More pictures! I love posting as I go so I can see the before and after.

I also am not going to use the supplied filter, not sure which replacment cartridges to use and don't wanna risk zeolite getting in the tank. SOO I am gonna clean up my aquaclear 30 and use that. I figure the sponge, carbon and biomax on top. Maybe even a felt filter pad on top if it will fit.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just adding that sand, sure does change the look quite dramatically!
Old 08-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Got 20lbs of live rock so far, just threw it in for now, still need to do some rockscaping. I also will add the 5-8 lbs that are in the pico.

Also got the black background but havent gotten to it yet.

While I was there I got a load of goodies! Broke down and bought for $20 the biocube protein skimmer, not expecting much though. Got some chemicals like trace elemets and some kalkwasser, syringes adn got a YUMA!!! It was only $20 and is huge! It's in the 125g until I;m ready to put it in here.

here are some pictures of course LOL

Old 08-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Freak

Another tank? Lucky girl. Have fun building it Looking forward to hear about your experience.

Tags
build, led, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com