Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm in the same boat, I can't hang any fixtures from the ceiling because of the height and the slope. I'm sure it could be done but I think it would look tacky having like 10-14 feet of cable hanging down.

I'm still at a crossroad as far as going LED or MH. I don't think the heat transfer would be that bad so I'm not worried about that. I just wanted a clean different looking tank. This is probably (really this time) my last build so I wanna make it special. Plus it's a showcase tank for corals, fish are just secondary.

Anyone have any ideas on how to mount something that hangs over the tank by legs? What if I took a 24" fixture, gutted it and added led strips int here? or would that just be plain tacky? And on that note, how many of the strips would I need?

Here is a linkf or the perfect setup but no way can I afford it. But they do sell the stand part only for $90 Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: ecoxotic Panorama LED Fixtures.

But again I have no idea on how many strips I'd need.

Ho hum another day of searching the internet for options.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #62
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow carey you work fast! By the time I noticed this thread the tanks was already mostly set up!

Old 08-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #63
Aquarium Advice Activist

Carey have you checked the aquaticlife LEDs
Old 08-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space lord View Post
Carey have you checked the aquaticlife LEDs

Do you have a link? Sorry to be a nudge, I've just been lookign at SOOO many I'm getting blurry eyed and I forget which ones I've seen.

So far I really like one panel but they are out of australia LOL. Price is right though and it comes with a 3 year warranty. Wonder if they ship overseas and how much it would be.....hmmmm
lol

see i have no direction really....just kinda jumping from idea to idea
Old 08-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Did my water tests this morning and came up with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 2.5 nitrates. I moved over the pico last night and the corals havent looked this good since I got them. I think the pcio was a cool idea but I don't think my corals thrived as much as they could in such a small tank.

How long should i wait before adding in the clowns I got the other day? maybe wauit another week or so? Make sure the biofilter can handle that much fish? I do have a 1/2 inch clown goby in there but I don't think he is contributing very much as far as bioload. lol

I am also most likely gonna buy the barnacle blenny I have been coveting for months and he will arrive this week.

Too much too soon I suppose? I did get 20 lbs of seasoned live rock from an established tank and I added some of the rock from the pico as well. I'm surprised I only saw a .5 ammonia spike when adding it though adn I must have missed the nitrites. lol

The barnacle blenny is a tiny fish as well. The clown will be the biggest thing I add. And thats about it for stocking fish in this new tank.

I'm thinking on adding the blenny this week and then waiting another week or two for the clowns, they are in the cube now and seem happy enough where they are. lol BUT my yellow watchman is still white, I think the presence of the clowns is stressing him out big time so I would rather move the clowns sooner than later.

Corals dont really add to the bioload do they? I have at least half a dozen in this tank already and was hoping to get more this weekend.

Any thoughts always welcome!
Old 08-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

ordered the barnacle blenny today and added his barnacles for him to live in.

I was looking on ebay and found two marineland reef ready lights for somewhat cheap, anyone think 2 of these units would be better than the PAR38 bulbs? If I can get the 2 for $200 or less it would be a great deal as they are $153 I think each. And the ebay ones are new. Just gotta wait a few more days.

i also lost out on the tunze skimmer, it went to over $100 and a new one is only $150 so I passed. There is a remora nano that ends tomorrow that is so far cheap so I may get that one.

**Mr X if you're reading this, forgive me, I know you hate them LOL
Old 08-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the link here carey love all the imput your threads have
Old 08-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey

Do you have a link? Sorry to be a nudge, I've just been lookign at SOOO many I'm getting blurry eyed and I forget which ones I've seen.

So far I really like one panel but they are out of australia LOL. Price is right though and it comes with a 3 year warranty. Wonder if they ship overseas and how much it would be.....hmmmm
lol

see i have no direction really....just kinda jumping from idea to idea
http://www.aquaticlife.com/
Old 08-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

That's exactly the type of fixture I want, but they are only .5 watt leds. Great link though, I m bookmarking it
Old 08-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

So need some advice on powerheads. I know I want koralias, no doubt about that.

I have a single 750 in this tank now and am having serious sand issues so I need to downgrade. But to what? I was thinking of adding the 425 from the cube and buying another 425. OR just getting new new 550's for this coral tank. The cube can handle the 750's by the way for whatever reason. But if I get 2 new ones I can keep the 75o for salt mixing.

The price is the same within a few cents for both the 425 and the 550. Since this tank is supposed to be all coral I was thinking the high flow would be better. But that's what I thought about the 750 in there. LOL

Whatcha guys think? 2 new 550's or use 425's? The filter I;m using is an AC 30 and it';s also moving around quite a bit of sand. the tank is only 15 inches tall and 3 inches of that is sand so I've got like 12 inches to play with as far as moving sand around.

Tags
build, led, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com