Carey's Rimless LED Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used it in my biocube which was infested with it, really really badly too and the next morning it was gone. I did a pwc anyways and haven't seen a trace of it growing back. :)

I used it in my biocube which was infested with it, really really badly too and the next morning it was gone. I did a pwc anyways and haven't seen a trace of it growing back. :)

That's great!...the thing that I didn't like was that it said I had to turn off my protein skimmer and filter, and put a bubbler in. Did you have to do that?:thanks:

you don't need the bubbler, but the skimmer will overflow constantly until you remove it. carey, why don't you vacuum it out with your water change?

Well that's good. So the fish will be fine without any filtration for 2 days? Thank you both for your help, I appreciate it!

you don't need the bubbler, but the skimmer will overflow constantly until you remove it. carey, why don't you vacuum it out with your water change?

It's actually on some rock and a piece of coral. I haven't thought to vacuum it yet, I've been being going very gently with the tank. I need to start thinking more I think. The most obvious answers sometimes just don't occur to me. lol

Oh and one more thing....lol

My lfs has been touting these led's for my setup, what do you think? I actually found the website with more information than he had. He has them for $300

Home

eh...those aren't any different than those ones on amazon.com. they aren't dimmable. -correction. the ones on amazon are 3 watt LEDs ..these are only 1 watt. the spread is lousy with them too.

Last edited:
Ok. darn it! I thought Ihad hit pay dirt with these. So the search continues....

Thanks for the input!

carey said:
I have changed my lighting for this tank. :-D

Just pikced up a jbj viper 2 metal halide clip on. 150w with a 14k bulb.

Looks ok, surprised its not much brighter though and not as blue as I thought.

I'm thinking of buying a 20k bulb for it.

Any thoughts?

20k will definitely blue it up.

I just wanted to add that I have used the chemi-clean.

It really works well. I added an air stone and turned off the skimmer while it was in there.

I had a massive amount of cyano though, and the dieoff caused an ammonia spike and then a massive nitrate amount. Amm got up to 2ppm before I did an emergency pwc, and the nitrates got above 100 after that emergency pwc.

I wouldn't worry about that unless there's a massive amount of algae.

Didn't lose anything, though.

I don't know what peoples thoughts are on the aqua illuminations sol LEDs are I asked but got no reply from this forum check on reef central I think there is some on them there. Their about 525$ for the light and 75$ for the controller. You probably only need the one.

I would LOVE the SO's but they are way outta my price range right now and what with the new 90g I;m gonna start soon I just cant do it. lol

They are tops though from what I hear, just wish they were cheaper.....

Thanks for the input!

the AI sol fixtures are good. i know a guy that has a pair of them over his rimless tank and he loves them.

See, why do all the well rated led's cost an arm and a leg? It's just not fair I tell ya! lol

I sold off a 10g setup yesterday and hopefully a 55g setup will go today and then the 20L community tank I;m hoping will be picked up this weekend.

THEN I can move the rimless to the 20l's spot and have a wall for hanging a fixture. I'm leaning towards the amazon.com one, still doing research. It's soo difficult and I am an ace researcher too. lol

Can a MH overheat? I just noticed my light wasnt on but the ballast was. Turned it off for a few minutes and the light came back on. Is this normal? Or is there some kind of problem?

Those ones you were looking at would be OK. But you would need at least two to cover a 4' tank. For a 40 they would be great. My 88 bulbs are spread over 4' on two rails, and they are still too close together. I will get some new controllers, power supplies and LEDs next month.

Can a MH overheat? I just noticed my light wasn't on but the ballast was. Turned it off for a few minutes and the light came back on. Is this normal? Or is there some kind of problem?

If the MH runs for a while then shuts off, then starts back up that is a sign the ballast is failing. The other thing that could have happened is you may have had a very quick drop in electricity to the fixture. If a MH is running and you turn the power off then back on, it will not start immediately. It first must cool down then it will start again.

Oh ok, I had a power surge with my electricity that might have done it then.

@cabezon I;m only looking to cover a 24" tank, it's just a 20g and has a water depth of about 12 inches.
:)

Still think I'd need two fixtures?

Back
Top Bottom