Carey's Rimless LED Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
It's been awhile since I setup a new tank though I've been planning this one since I got my pico.

Plan is for a rimless, small LED lit coral tank. :-D

This might be the tank that i put my designer clowns in. I want it filled with corals so I only want swimming fish, so no sand dwellers. lol

I have found very few rimless tanks though. I'm leaning towards this one

Mr. Aqua Rectangle Frameless Glass Aquarium Tank

That one has totally no frame, just like my Pico. BUT Deep Blue also makes rimless tanks just don't know if they make one small enough. And the deep blue ones are only frame free on top, they still have the frame along the bottom.

Does anyone have any suggestions or links?

The start of a good build is finding the right tank first so that's step one.

Love to have your input everyone!

Sorry I have no clue about rimless tanks
I just thought it was funny that you are working on the next tank LOL
My boyfriend dropped the bomb on me today while I was cutting egg-crate stuff for my 120g tank that I'm still setting up. He said: "well, when we are gettig out 200g tank we are gonna do this...and that...and..." I starred at him with my mouth open thinking I was dead and ended up in heaven LOL

SORRY, off topic, but seeing you getting ready for the next build reminded me of his comment today ;)

Went to order my tank and it's back ordered until september!!! grrrr....might have to look into other options...

If you really want that tank, then wait :), September is only 2 weeks away LOL (Rememberrrrrrrrrrrrrr patience)

LOL, I know, the girl on the phone said i could order it now and they would deliver when they come in. I'm just itching to upgrade the pico, it's gotten a bit out of control with all that I've put in there. And I am having a heck of a time cleaning it now.

I was looking at the deep blue rimless tanks but can only find it in a 30g or 57g size and they are WAY over what i wanted to spend.

PLUS there are 2 sites that are having super sales and I would love to get some of the livestock they have on special. :)

I may end up getting a few things for the 125g I guess. Just wanted to save on shipping lol

So this friday I will be going tank shopping. :) if I can't find a rimless one I will just order the mr aqua and wait til september for delivery.

I guess the next question is filtration. I wish i could do a sump but it's not gonna be possible I think so I was thinking on using an aquaclear 30. Or I;ve seen some small canister filters but not sure they will do the job.

here are some options I'm considering

Power Filter: Bio System Power Filter & Surface Skimmer from Foster & Smith Aquatics
Canister Filters: Rapids Mini Canister Filter at Foster & Smith Aquatics
Aquarium Filters & Water Quality: Current SubCurrent Internal Wet/Dry Filter

Whatcha think? Or should I just stay with the aquaclear?

Before spending the extra money... You should now to remove the rims from a basic aquarium isn't very hard, i just recently removed the top rim of a 10g aquarium in about 20 minutes.

ada has rimless tanks. and persay they are weaker but they use thicker glass. oceanic makes 57g rimless and id trust them.
id just use a AC personally

Thanks guys, I guess I'll just use my extra aquaclear then. :) Theres some savings right there. lol

Alot of the rimless tanks only come in larger sizes though. I'm kinda set on a 24" long tank and open to the depth and width. I was planning on using my two par38 led bulbs for starters until I figure out the next step in lights.

The deep blue still has the bottom frame as the ADA do i think.

here's the link for the tank I want.

Mr. Aqua Rectangle Frameless Glass Aquarium Tank

My pico is also all glass and rimless and i love the look!

WOW, just looked at the prices at glass cages and they are obscene! LOL Almost $200 for a 15 long.. plus I'd have to pay a pick up fee in a town over an hour away.

Good suggestion though...gonna peruse the site a bit more. ;-)

Todays the big shopping day, I'm off to try to find the tank for this build. :) And maybe a stand as well. Just depends on how big of a tank I find.

I was planning on using the two par38 led bulbs for this tank so I have lights covered for the start and I was gonna order about 20lbs of base rock from reefcleaners if I come home with a tank.

Since this will be almost entirely a coral tank I also am going to start looking into skimmers. I was hoping to add my new clowns I got yesterday and the clown goby from the pico and that was it. BUT I also don't know how big of a tank I will be getting. The Mr aqua is the smallest i want at 17.4 g and I might be willing to go as big as a 30g cube, just depends on price.

I'm really hoping I can find something today, I'm getting really excited to have a coral only tank.

I will have lots and lots of questions though along the way I'm sure. :)
I'm still debating whether to put it in the pico's spot on the kitchen counter or get a stand, but stands can be soo expensive.

I also dont really have the room for another stand and tank, though I have a 10g on a stand to the left of my computer that is full of water that needs to be taken down. I will literally be surrounded by tanks on my computer. ROFL

I have the cube 8 inches to my right, then a foot over from that I have the 125g FW. To my left about 3 feet is the 20L community FW tank I recently setup. This new tank would go between me and the 20L. hehe

I have also entertained the idea of changing the 20L regular tank into the coral tank but it's not rimless. :-(

dont mind my rambling on, it;s liek 8 am and I''m excited to get on the road and start my search. Just so many options...

Good Luck shopping, thanks for all the help lately, and of course, I'm following this one too!

Woohoo!!! Just bought a 20g rimless. Its a marina and came with a neat slim filter and a crappy light. Lol

Now I need a stand. Still shopping.

You should seriously consider opening an aquarium rental business. That way you will get paid for setting up tanks. Hit up some doctors offices and other businesses with waiting rooms.

You like building tanks too much! lol!

Believe it or not, I am thinking of doing something on the side like that. I get off on setting up tanks like you wouldnt believe. lol

I do have a 55g I am selling too, I will probably list it after my blue tang is out of it after his qt period.

So nemo, how do those marina tanks hold up? Any customer complaints? It has the black silicone seals too so it looks pretty cool. And the filter, anyone complain about them? It looks cool but is kinda ghetto. lol The guya t the store said you could put whatever media you want in it but I havent unboxed it yet to really see. The store had one setup with led's for $900!!! and it looked pretty good even though the filter was kinda dirty looking.

carey said:
Believe it or not, I am thinking of doing something on the side like that. I get off on setting up tanks like you wouldnt believe. lol

I do have a 55g I am selling too, I will probably list it after my blue tang is out of it after his qt period.

So nemo, how do those marina tanks hold up? Any customer complaints? It has the black silicone seals too so it looks pretty cool. And the filter, anyone complain about them? It looks cool but is kinda ghetto. lol The guya t the store said you could put whatever media you want in it but I havent unboxed it yet to really see. The store had one setup with led's for $900!!! and it looked pretty good even though the filter was kinda dirty looking.

We've never had returns and I've never heard anything bad about them. They look to be really good quailty.. I love black silicone personally. And nothing bad about the filter either. I personally think they are to small lol. And wow 900 bucks. What leds? Best ones we have now are eco panaromas and they are like 99. Id say ditch the filter personally. :)

Back
Top Bottom