Careys Tank(s) Lots of Pictures, Questions & Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It would look so cool! I really wish pairs of Clowns would coexist better in the same tank...can you imagine the 60g filled with many anemones and like four pairs of Clowns? Heavenly! LOL

I was sooo close to replying to a local guy wanting to sell his snowflake clowns, but I just couldnt do it. I just remember when I had the four clowns in the 125g and almost lost the one pair due to excessive violence. I would love to see a dozen clowns swimming around all day, that would be so awesome! lol

Would you believe the lunar wrasse is still alive in the 90g? He hasnt eaten in probably two weeks but is hanging in there. Anyone think I should remove him to a 5 gallon or 10g ? He wouldnt be hard to catch i wouldnt think and I hate seeing him sitting there looking all bad. :-( I'm afraid the move would stress him even more....I just dont know what to do. We discussed putting him to "sleep" but the hubby said since he doesnt look pained and isnt getting picked on we should let nature take it's course. Psycho the hawk in the 40b looked like he was gonna die on me with his two popped eyes but he got better. He's a little skittish now a days but he seems healthy and his eyes went back to normal. I hate having to make decisions like this.

Too funny, I have seen that exact listing before, hard to forget those kids inside the tank.

So, your choice would be acrylic over glass? Any reason why? I have heard acrylic tanks scratch easily and are just a pain overall. That same seller has a 96 x24 x 24 which looks about right to me, for me anyways. The back to front for me can't be huge as I have my TV and whatnot to the immediate left and there is NO other place to put it. lol
Too bad that dimension will only get me to 240g. I have been looking at glasscages and they have a nice 400g I think it is that looks good......

What are the dims on the GC 400? I would choose the acrylic because it's clearer than glass and it's gonna be considerably lighter. My old 300 from glass cages was 800 pounds empty. As far as scratching, yes, care has to be taken, but with said care, you should be fine. Use plastic scrapers is the main thing. Don't get sand under your mag float (the same goes for glass)...

Totally agree on the evils of sand under the Mags. I cleaned my acrylic 60g cube last weekend and got something underneath that left several scratches across the front. Didn't realize until it was too late . That being said, I've had other acrylic tanks for years with no concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was sooo close to replying to a local guy wanting to sell his snowflake clowns, but I just couldnt do it. I just remember when I had the four clowns in the 125g and almost lost the one pair due to excessive violence. I would love to see a dozen clowns swimming around all day, that would be so awesome! lol

Would you believe the lunar wrasse is still alive in the 90g? He hasnt eaten in probably two weeks but is hanging in there. Anyone think I should remove him to a 5 gallon or 10g ? He wouldnt be hard to catch i wouldnt think and I hate seeing him sitting there looking all bad. :-( I'm afraid the move would stress him even more....I just dont know what to do. We discussed putting him to "sleep" but the hubby said since he doesnt look pained and isnt getting picked on we should let nature take it's course. Psycho the hawk in the 40b looked like he was gonna die on me with his two popped eyes but he got better. He's a little skittish now a days but he seems healthy and his eyes went back to normal. I hate having to make decisions like this.

Glad to hear the the Hawk's eyes are better. I think my Clown with that issues has gotten better too. :)

That's odd about the Lunar Wrasse, I am not sure what would be the best option for him. Do you think he is more stressed in the big tank? Do you think he has a disease?

I'm not sure what is wrong with the lunar wrasse. His eyes have clouded over a bit and he looks rough on the scales but thats cause he keeps going under the sand. He is right now laying half under the sand and still breathing. No reaction whatsoever to food either, even if it lands on his mouth, it just falls away and he makes no move to consume it.
He is the largest fish in that tank and I got him that big so no way to know how old he is. He could be at the end of his life time, I really don't know.

I'm not sure what is wrong with the lunar wrasse. His eyes have clouded over a bit and he looks rough on the scales but thats cause he keeps going under the sand. He is right now laying half under the sand and still breathing. No reaction whatsoever to food either, even if it lands on his mouth, it just falls away and he makes no move to consume it.
He is the largest fish in that tank and I got him that big so no way to know how old he is. He could be at the end of his life time, I really don't know.

Ah, I see......

I am hoping things turn around for the little guy. Had to say weather moving him would make things better. If he is not getting picked on and doesn't seem stressed out, maybe not? Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Not really, he is still juts laying on the sand mostly. sometimes he covers himself up with sand. Still not eating either. I think we are going into week 3 or 4 now that he hasnt eaten.
This is a testament to everyone who says you dont need to feed your fish every day I guess. Cant believe he is still alive. It shouldnt be long now.

Not really, he is still juts laying on the sand mostly. sometimes he covers himself up with sand. Still not eating either. I think we are going into week 3 or 4 now that he hasnt eaten.
This is a testament to everyone who says you dont need to feed your fish every day I guess. Cant believe he is still alive. It shouldnt be long now.

Wow! I'm still crossing my fingers that things turn around soon. Maybe he is eating food that sinks to the bottom? Or is finding things in the sand?

I wish I could say that was what is happening....but its clearly not. I feed the tank and food will fal right on his mouth and he breathes it in and out even but doesnt make any attempt at consuming it. :-(
I've thought about taking him out and treating with some meds but i am not even sure where to begin with medication.

Lunar wrasse finally died last night. I'm glad he passed, I felt so bad for him.

Not sure what I will put in the 90g in his place, I was thinking a foxface. We will see. Not in a huge rush to replace him.

Lunar wrasse finally died last night. I'm glad he passed, I felt so bad for him.

Not sure what I will put in the 90g in his place, I was thinking a foxface. We will see. Not in a huge rush to replace him.

So sorry for your loss :( Sometimes it's better that way. I have euthanized a fish in the past when I decided the suffering wasn't worth it and I was 99% sure it wouldn't recover. It's tough but it takes a load off your heart when he's not suffering!

Yeah, this was the most active fish in the tank and kinda gave it a "feel". His absence is felt in a big way. :-(
We had to put a fish to "sleep" once from the cichlid tank and I swear it was as rough as watching him die slowly. We put him in the freezer and hopefully, or at least I hope, he went peacefully. I couldnt bare to do that to the wrasse, for the most part he died somewhat peacefully just over a few weeks. i guess i still held out hope he would make it.
Other than that the tanks are running fine, the 180g is good, the 60g is good and the 40b is full of algae. lol
I am swapping out rock in the 40b to an empty 10g in the kitchen to black out the lights and get rid of the algae. I have one load ready to go back into the 40b that has the algae all gone already. Took about a week or two for the algae to die off. After I get rid of the rest I am going to put the 40 up for sale. I'm figuring on asking $450 for everything. That everything includes anything and everything you'd need. let me know if that sounds too high or too low.
Included will be the tank and stand of course, the skimmer a remora, the led lighting, the wp25, the return pump a mag 7, the ato a tunze and the water jug it feeds from. All the rock and sand and possibly some coral here and there that has grown onto the rocks.
Sound like a good deal? It has almost $900 put into it so half price sounds good. lol At least to me.
Anyone have any input on this or maybe some ideas for the replacement "centerpiece" fish in the 90g?
Thanks for following guys!

Back
Top Bottom