Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2014, 03:44 AM   #271
Aquarium Advice Addict

Didn't you take the 120 watt EBay LEDs off the 180? Can you use one of those in place of the radion while it is getting repaired? Unless I'm mistaken.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:53 AM   #272
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My hubby is using them for his indoor garden now. lol I was gonna sell them but he grabbed them the day we took them down. he didnt even have the new light up and had them in his room already. Must have been eying them for awhile hehe

After looking further at the ecotech store, the $175 would upgrade the gen 1 to a gen3. For $275 I could upgrade to the gen3 pro. The pro is probably not necessary so heres hoping I can get my issue fixed AND get the new optics and added leds. I think they added yellow to the array but not sure. i will send ecotech an email tomorrow, (later since its like 3 am) and i will ask what is involved with doing the $175 upgrade and what I get for the change.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #273
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I saw there is a pro now. I don't even know what all that is. So behind in things it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:11 AM   #274
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Started the rockscape on the 60g finally. lol

We got the first layer and the second layer mortered down. We are letting it dry and then gonna build it taller. the tank is 24" high so I figured make the structure go almost to the top, say 17". That takes into account about 2-3 inches for the sandbed.

This stuff is very hard to work with I might add. :-(

Also some news on the radion front. I missed the call but the tech left a message and told me the board had to be replaced for the usb jack to work again and that it would be $250!!! She mentioned something about doing the gen3 upgrade but didnt get specific, just said to call her back. So I will know more on Monday.

This is one purchase I kinda regret. I paid $400 for the light last year or beginning of this year and it was a fair price for a working radion gen1. But now i will most likely have to spend at least another $200 to get the light workable. that puts me into the light for $600 when a new gen3 is on sale for $5 something right now. Not always the best idea to buy used.
Lesson learned.

here are some photos of course!! Of the work so far, I know it looks crappy but it might come out good in the end. lol

Old 08-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #275
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Started the rockscape on the 60g finally. lol

We got the first layer and the second layer mortered down. We are letting it dry and then gonna build it taller. the tank is 24" high so I figured make the structure go almost to the top, say 17". That takes into account about 2-3 inches for the sandbed.

This stuff is very hard to work with I might add. :-(

Also some news on the radion front. I missed the call but the tech left a message and told me the board had to be replaced for the usb jack to work again and that it would be $250!!! She mentioned something about doing the gen3 upgrade but didnt get specific, just said to call her back. So I will know more on Monday.

This is one purchase I kinda regret. I paid $400 for the light last year or beginning of this year and it was a fair price for a working radion gen1. But now i will most likely have to spend at least another $200 to get the light workable. that puts me into the light for $600 when a new gen3 is on sale for $5 something right now. Not always the best idea to buy used.
Lesson learned.

here are some photos of course!! Of the work so far, I know it looks crappy but it might come out good in the end. lol

Sorry about the lights):. Everyone says the ecotech's service for broken parts makes up for high cost. I guess not.
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:37 AM   #276
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just got off the phone with ecotech. Gotta admit their customer support is very pleasant and nice over the phone. via email? ehhh not so much lol

anyways, instead of paying 250$ for a new driver board I decided to go with the upgrade to the gen3. It was $175 and the upgrade to gen3 pro was $275. SOOO I went with the cheaper option. Apparently the only difference is a red led and a white led. Not worth the extra $100 to me. I also am having them put on the new gen3 body kit so it will pretty much be a gen3. The girl there told me that they replace the fans and boards and the clusters and not much is left from the gen1. lol They will be shipping it out on wednesday via fedex so I might have it by friday or saturday. very excited!!!

I also sold off the ph controller and ro/di I got from the garage full of stuff I bought. So net net the 180g rimless and stand and all the other goodies have run me $100. Not too shabby.lol

I think we are going to plug the holes too and just run the fx5 on it. The glass spillway/overflow doesnt seem to want to fit in the tank now so I would rather not force it and break the tank. Not sure when we are gonna do the big move though. I have one other project I want to get done this week and that is to setup a betta fish tank. I figure i can get like 7 females and put them in a 25g tank and save them from walmart and their little cups. lol I hope I can keep bettas, never tried before. watch me screw that up.....

But thats the update for today!!
Old 08-25-2014, 07:31 PM   #277
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Just got off the phone with ecotech. Gotta admit their customer support is very pleasant and nice over the phone. via email? ehhh not so much lol

anyways, instead of paying 250$ for a new driver board I decided to go with the upgrade to the gen3. It was $175 and the upgrade to gen3 pro was $275. SOOO I went with the cheaper option. Apparently the only difference is a red led and a white led. Not worth the extra $100 to me. I also am having them put on the new gen3 body kit so it will pretty much be a gen3. The girl there told me that they replace the fans and boards and the clusters and not much is left from the gen1. lol They will be shipping it out on wednesday via fedex so I might have it by friday or saturday. very excited!!!

I also sold off the ph controller and ro/di I got from the garage full of stuff I bought. So net net the 180g rimless and stand and all the other goodies have run me $100. Not too shabby.lol

I think we are going to plug the holes too and just run the fx5 on it. The glass spillway/overflow doesnt seem to want to fit in the tank now so I would rather not force it and break the tank. Not sure when we are gonna do the big move though. I have one other project I want to get done this week and that is to setup a betta fish tank. I figure i can get like 7 females and put them in a 25g tank and save them from walmart and their little cups. lol I hope I can keep bettas, never tried before. watch me screw that up.....

But thats the update for today!!
Bettas are cake. Multiple females will be a bit more work, but really not that bad.
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:35 PM   #278
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Hey Carey, you've been looking for a white tail tang right? I was just at pacificeastaquaculture and they had 1 for sale at $130. Nice size and beautiful. May want to contact them if you're still interested

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:42 PM   #279
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks bribo, I would love to get one but the price tag is scaring me away. :-(

I am going to have to cut my fish spending for the next few months as I need to buy a new computer for the new warcraft expansion coming in November. lol

I also blew alot of my budget this month on the radion getting fixed. booooo......
Old 08-25-2014, 10:46 PM   #280
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Just wanted to let ya know :p

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
care, pic, picture, pictures, question, questions, tan, tank, tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com