Careys Tank(s) Lots of Pictures, Questions & Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the orbits over the 40g breeder, I have the tao led panels over the 180g. Used to have a single tao over the 60g before I re did it too. Just havent taken a liking to the led panels, I am the only person having issues with it. lol it must just be me.

I will post the 40b in a few, lemme get some more pictures uploaded to photobucket. Every coral is looking pretty darn good BUT the hydrophora. It was fine up til 2 days ago and it just went downhill really fast. It stopped opening two days ago and is peeling its flesh now. I dont expect there to be any left in another day or two tops. It is in the top 1/4 of the tank too so it couldnt have been not enough light, my guess is too much light or the water, which was reading at 10ppm of nitrates before I did the water change. I also screwed up and had the orbits at 100% power and longest time setting, i thought I had it at coral acclimation but guess not. I have since adjusted the setting. :)

I have had my or its for 2 months now in my 50 gallon cube. 20 inches deep. So far I have zoas on the bottom , xenia on the bottom, trumpet coral in the middle, a a piece of a monti towards the top with white edges, and some mushrooms. Also a rose bta. They all seem to be doing good under the orbits. I run 100% on the first setting, I think it's for about 4 hours then the blues turn on. I would like to get a birds nest but I'm not to sure if the lights would be strong enough. I love all your tanks they are an inspiration to me, please keep posting with lots of pictures.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have had my or its for 2 months now in my 50 gallon cube. 20 inches deep. So far I have zoas on the bottom , xenia on the bottom, trumpet coral in the middle, a a piece of a monti towards the top with white edges, and some mushrooms. Also a rose bta. They all seem to be doing good under the orbits. I run 100% on the first setting, I think it's for about 4 hours then the blues turn on. I would like to get a birds nest but I'm not to sure if the lights would be strong enough. I love all your tanks they are an inspiration to me, please keep posting with lots of pictures.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If your not sure if you have enough light for a BN, then you probably don't have enough light for the BTA.

Maybe tank is too clean for the toadstool? Not enough nutrients? Not enough flow on the toadstool? 50/50 may still be too much light depending on how close they are to water.

Do all your corals look bad?

I only have a toadstool, some other leather, some hairy mushrooms and some palys. Everything else looks ok, except for the toadstool. :-(

The nitrates are at about 10 or so so the water is a little dirty, which I;ve heard leather do actually like. lol But no idea why it has gone so downhill. I took the biopellets off line a few weeks ago so that isnt the issue.

I've tried the leds at almost off position all the way up to 75% and no change.

I just realized i totally forgot to update on the 40, lol. I got into warcraft last night and never stopped playing til 6 this morning and then went to bed. hahaha
I will have to do it tonight, I have a reef club board meeting in a little bit. wohoo, we gt to talk about our future meetings and decide what i get to buy for the upcoming raffles. Sooo much fun, I am so glad I found a local reef club. If anyone in the central florida area needs a reef club, this is the one to join. Free too. :)

I am excited to see how the 40g has progressed! :-D I used to be part of a reef club, but stopped going when I made the decision (the BAD decision I still kick myself over to this day) to sell the 125g and other tanks. Maybe I will join one again someday! :-D

You should Red! I have learned so much from going to meetings and its really nice to spend a few hours a month with people that love saltwater tanks and you can talk for hours about it and no one gets bored! lol

I am uploading a video of the 40 now, trying the photobucket video uploader and will link that when it's finished. :)

Okies, for my last tank, the one that has all the coral! The 40b!

Currently running just a sump with a filter sock, return pump of a mag 9.5 and a hang on remora skimmer. Just added an ATO, tunze nano that I picked up on ebay for like $70. :)

The occupants are:
Pair of true perc clowns
hawaiin hawk fish
pixie hawkfish
Golden headed sleeper goby and
a firefish
almost forgot, a lawnmower Blenny too!

Just added the firefish a few days ago, the pixie has been harassing him so he doesnt comeout of his hidey hole much. lol The pixie has been harassing other fish as well, might have to move him to the 60g or maybe even the 180g, but there are 2 hawks in there already so not too sure what to do.
I also added a red bubble tip about a week or two ago and he is doing fine as well. I was worried since the tank hasnt been setup that long but for $20 i couldnt resist. lol

Here is the video of the 40, hope it comes out ok. I switched on the whites half way thru so we could actually see stuff. lol

Last edited:
Hmm the photobucket version doesnt seem to be playing. ;-(((

Loading it to youtube now. Willpost the link when its done. sigh*****

How are the clowns like the nem? I am not too familiar with the Pixies, but I just looked them up....and boy are they cute AND colorful!

The silly clowns have not ventured too far away from their corner of the tank yet. I was hoping they would find the nem and do the host thing but even if they dont I will be ok with that. lol

yeah, the pixie is a cute lil devil, he wasnt a problem until just recently. I figured how bad and aggressive could a tiny little thing like that be? Well, now I know. lol

Still waiting for the u tube video to be done.

Great video! You are going to keep the 40g when the 60g gets going, right?

Thinking of tiny fish that can be little devils, Dottybacks! The Diadem I had was just dandy, but that was probably because he mostly had bigger tank mates. I forgot, do you have one?

I had a purple dottyback in the 180g but I think he picked a fight with a bigger nastier fish, he disappeared about 2 months ago. :-(

And yes, of course I am keeping the 40b running even after the 60g goes online. :)

I only have 5 tanks now, I feel like I have an empty house right now! lol Down from 9 is such a huge difference. I feel the need for a new tank.....don't we all though?

Thanks Mac!

Still have some issues with the 180g and the 40b but nithing I cant remedy I hope.
Have a little bit of cyano going on in the 40b and still unsure of the long term effectiveness of the orbits. I am contemplating buying a second orbit and seeing how good that would work. My one lfs uses the orbits too, but he has them doubled up on his tanks. So thats an option.
And of course the major issue with the lighting in the 180g. I just cannot figure out what to do with it. Go back to t5's or wait it out and watch my corals suffer?

The silly clowns have not ventured too far away from their corner of the tank yet. I was hoping they would find the nem and do the host thing but even if they dont I will be ok with that. lol yeah, the pixie is a cute lil devil, he wasnt a problem until just recently. I figured how bad and aggressive could a tiny little thing like that be? Well, now I know. lol Still waiting for the u tube video to be done.

Took clowns in my 90 about 9 months to start hosting rbta. Now they wont leave them alone.

Black clowns in my 14 took about 2 weeks.

No intervention (taping photos to tank, confine to small container) on my part.

Back
Top Bottom