Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Regarding the clown tank idea...I like the idea. I'm trying to find a cool Clown pair for my 60g. These are pics I've found, just not sure what the last two are. The first are Stubbies.
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/...C07C92E216.png
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/...55682A7990.png
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/...BEFDDE9856.png

Old 06-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
Regarding the clown tank idea...I like the idea. I'm trying to find a cool Clown pair for my 60g. These are pics I've found, just not sure what the last two are. The first are Stubbies.
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/...C07C92E216.png
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/...55682A7990.png
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/...BEFDDE9856.png

Honestly, I think it's a bad idea to but GMO fish... The poor guys have had their spines taken out or shortened so they can't grow. Just sad IMO...

Now Designer clowns can be pretty cool, and since they aren't really GMO'd I think it's ok...

Old 06-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

I thought Stubbies were just genetically different. I've never really researched them.

I'm not a fan of most designer clowns , but those last two, especially the middle one, are pretty different, IMO.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:21 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I thought Stubbies were just genetically different. I've never really researched them.

I'm not a fan of most designer clowns , but those last two, especially the middle one, are pretty different, IMO.

From what I've read and heard they are modified to be that way, though I may be wrong..

It's not to say that I like the way the designers look, but they aren't modified to be that way.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:57 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I dont know the stubbies look a little odd to me lol. I'm a little odd though so I dont know. lol

I have run the tao's over other tanks too and didnt like them then either. I just figured it would be different over the 180g. I only paid like $380 for the three panels a few months ago so its not alot of money lost, I can maybe get $200 on craigslist in this area. Dont wanna be without a light though so I will try to scrape together the $250 and then sell off the panels when the corals improve. I just hate seeing them this way. The toadstool breaks my heart.

Lemme see is if I can find any pictures of the 125g, I have so darn many.....

Old 06-05-2014, 12:22 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macscale View Post
From what I've read and heard they are modified to be that way, though I may be wrong..

It's not to say that I like the way the designers look, but they aren't modified to be that way.

The ORA website says that the Stubbies are born lacking vertebrae, so it is a naturally occurring "deformity". They are apparently healthy and are just a rarity that they sometimes find. I agree that they are pretty odd looking, but I kinda like the oddball look.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:29 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
The ORA website says that the Stubbies are born lacking vertebrae, so it is a naturally occurring "deformity". They are apparently healthy and are just a rarity that they sometimes find. I agree that they are pretty odd looking, but I kinda like the oddball look.

They breed the "deformed" fish with each other to pass the genes on.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:38 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Careys Tank(s) Lots of Pictures, Questions & Thoughts

No way that is naturally occurring. If it was natural selection would breed that trait right out of the gene pool as those clowns would not last long. Definitely a result of inbreeding and human intervention. The other ora clowns are great and just bred to have nice colors. The stubbies not so much.

But we are off topic now and not focusing on Carey's awesome tanks! Sorry Carey!
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:35 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Carey! Check out youtube.Bulf Reef Supply did one with 30 clowns.I forgot how big the tank was though.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Criptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:31 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
No way that is naturally occurring. If it was natural selection would breed that trait right out of the gene pool as those clowns would not last long. Definitely a result of inbreeding and human intervention. The other ora clowns are great and just bred to have nice colors. The stubbies not so much.

But we are off topic now and not focusing on Carey's awesome tanks! Sorry Carey!

Completely true, there isn't a way. But we are very off topic..

Carey- Is the toadstool normally very colored up? I've never had one, so I can't judge whether it's doing well or not...

Tags
care, pic, picture, pictures, question, questions, tan, tank, tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com