Carey's Updated Tank Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
So since it's been a really long time I figured I'd update you all on my tanks. :)
There will be lots of pictures following so read on at your own risk. LOL
I'll just go down the list of tanks and try to list the occupants and general info so you can follow along.

125g- Malawi Cichlid tank- This tank hasn't seen any new additions in years but unfortunately we have had a few losses recently. There are about 12 fish maybe left, the biggest is about 8 inches long. I am not sure on life expectancy of cichlids, I was hoping it was longer than 4 years but the fish are dying off one by one in the order of first introduction. :-(

29g Biocube- I was in the middle of redoing it went I went awol from this site and it now houses just a couple fish and most of my small corals. There is a pygmy falco hawkfish, blood shrimp, chalk bass and a royal gramma. I was in petco today and picked up a tiger striped goby. He isnt eating yet but he is sifting so thats a good sign. I'm running an aquaticlife skimmer now along with the media racks from intank. I also have a UV for it that I run every few weeks for a couple days at a time. Overall the tank is doing well in my opinion.

60g Rimless Cube- Havent added much in the way of fish lately, put a linear blenny in a few months ago. So this tank has: Citron Goby, pair of B&W clowns, yellow clown goby, green clown goby, firefish, barnacle blenny and Mandy the Mandarin. The scooter died a few months ago, he was fat and plump so he did pretty well considering. The mandarin is quite the fat little porker too, once he started with pellets he just got fatter than usual. lol Running a remora hang on back skimmer for this tank now, the stand is really cramped and the octopus skimmer was just not practical as I can barely get in there to adjust or empty it. I am planning on redoing the plumbing some day soon as well, just havent gotten to it yet. The taotronics light apparently is way way toomuch light for the tank so i had to remove the corals that werentt toasted so its a fish only tank for now, until I get a new light or sell the setup.

90g Aggressive FOWLR- This tank is the perfect tank let me tell you! The maintenance is so easy for it and it is so tall you get a direct eye straight ahead view of everything. This is what my new setup will be fashioned after. The fishies in here are: Red Coris wrasse, sixline wrasse, blue headed wrasse, coral hogfish, Flame Hawk, Big eye squirrel fish and the two newest additions, a lunar wrasse and a blue eyed bristletooth tang. Still have some xenia clinging to the rocks in here too, not much but some, gives the tank some wavy movement.

125g Reef- This was my "big" reef so far and it hasnt been too terrible. I took out the refugium as I was not seeing any results so I have the reef octopus in there for now. Not much has been added in here really either. I have the blue tang, yellow tang and tomini still along with the pink spotted goby. I had an aggressive dottyback in the cube so he is now in this tank and I added a copperband butterfly last weekend and a lawnmower blenny on this past thursday. For the record, if you use flatworm exit make sure you use ALOT of carbon, I didn't and lost my original copperband, both squareback anthias and my last two blue reef chromis. Talk about a crappy day. I also put in a GIANT hermit crab a few months ago, he is about the size of the yellow tang, it's awesome. he also keeps my sand pristine which is a bonus.

I dont wanna go on forever so I'll stop now. lol Thanks for reading this far, I appreciate it.

AS far as the future, I plan on getting a nuvo 24g panoramic setup and the BIG upgrade to a 180 or larger tank. Can't do anything til after my wedding in September but I am pricing and planning already. I plan to combine the 90g and the 125g and put it into the bigger tank so i can sell off those 2 setups and I might have a wall open for the first time in years!

here are some pictures, in no order, just a bunch I';ve taken over the last few weeks.

Cool! I'd love to see pictures of the yellow goby and the mandarin :) I think those are so pretty.

Thanks guys, good to be back!

Here are pictures of the mandarin and the yellow goby. :)

Thanks for the update, it was fun to view!

I love the 90g, that one is my favorite! :)

welcome back, i went missing for about a year also but in the process of building a new 72 gallong reef

hey leo, nice to see you still around. :) We all come back to the basics at some point and this forum was my basics. lol

Glad to hear about the 72g, thats a nice size with so many possibilities.

My fave tank right now is the 90g as well red, I look forward to working on it believe it or not. I just did a nice 40g water change on her, in fact I ran out of salt water so I'm sitting here playing around while my salt mixes. hehehe...The eye level part of the tank is the best too, the stand is like 40" tall so you can see all the fish without looking down. Plus the 90g is so active! I will make a video soon and post it, there is constant movement in there.

hey leo, nice to see you still around. :) We all come back to the basics at some point and this forum was my basics. lol

Glad to hear about the 72g, thats a nice size with so many possibilities.

My fave tank right now is the 90g as well red, I look forward to working on it believe it or not. I just did a nice 40g water change on her, in fact I ran out of salt water so I'm sitting here playing around while my salt mixes. hehehe...The eye level part of the tank is the best too, the stand is like 40" tall so you can see all the fish without looking down. Plus the 90g is so active! I will make a video soon and post it, there is constant movement in there.

Fun! I can't wait to setup my FOWLR (hopefully soon). I can't wait for the video. I have found that videos are much easier to take than pictures.....lol. :)

Last edited:
Welcome back. Nice to see you on th site posting again. Congratulations on the upcoming wedding too!

Back
Top Bottom