Carl's 180 reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ibrahim said:
Lol isn't the name ironic even though it looks like one.

Yea it's ironic. At the place I got it from it was closed up. When I got it in the tank and turned the lights back on it started to open up. Hopefully they sold me the wrong one considering I only paid 12$

Here it is now at 11:35

Attachments

• image-1067052581.jpg
    image-1067052581.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 77
Reefnoob84 said:
Yea it's ironic. At the place I got it from it was closed up. When I got it in the tank and turned the lights back on it started to open up. Hopefully they sold me the wrong one considering I only paid 12$

Wow that's cheap for only $12. That's wholesale price.

Ibrahim said:
Wow that's cheap for only $12. That's wholesale price.

I just got hooked up with a wholesaler. He's getting me my Achilles for 100$. Powder blues for 25$. He hands out referral cards to his private customers. Lucky me my landlord likes me and is a salt head too!

Reefnoob84 said:
I just got hooked up with a wholesaler. He's getting me my Achilles for 100$. Powder blues for 25$. He hands out referral cards to his private customers. Lucky me my landlord likes me and is a salt head too!

Cool. If you're in FL check out Aquatic Trading Co. They've got Naso tangs for $25

Ibrahim said:
Cool. If you're in FL check out Aquatic Trading Co. They've got Naso tangs for $25

I'm in Chicago. This told me 15 for nasos and 20 for blondes.

Added my marble wrasse today to the dt. He's a little guy. Awesome yellow and oranges. Got a free millapora frag from a not so lfs an hour away. Also picked up a trumpet coral for 10 bucks. I'll get pics up tomorrow when the lights are on.

Found this in my fuge this morning lucky it was easy to get out with a little siphon.

Attachments

• image-3899853896.jpg
    image-3899853896.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 98
TLTGF said:
Everything looks awesome - like the new scape!

As for the sun coral - you will have to target feed each individual polyp all the time to make sure it lives. You'll probably want to try to train it to open during the day. Otherwise it'll only open at night at starve. It's a non-photosynthetic coral, meaning it doesn't get food from the sun.

Put a bottle over him and shoot the food into that then remove it in a bit

Some updated pics!

image-2972301863.jpg

Fts

image-1193085981.jpg

Explosion of coraline!

Attachments

• image-3382348025.jpg
    image-3382348025.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 82
Got a couple new frags earlier this week.

image-2701785551.jpg

Fat headed dendro getting fatter!

image-2192059200.jpg

Tubestra

Attachments

• image-4267300445.jpg
    image-4267300445.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 103
Nice pcs.!!
Fat heads are expensive... My LFS had a 4-5 head one for $120!!!
I've had a Tubastrea, about the same size for close to a year now. I feed it PE Mysis & gut-loaded brine every other day, only way to keep it alive. I would suggest that you shelter it from any direct light, I understand that direct light can adversely effect them.

View attachment 91657

Tubastrea (Sun coral)

I lost a mini colony of purple acropora well losing. Some diatoms on the sand but other than that not too much going on. Just growth!

I've been giving thought about starting to dose vodka to help with the diatoms and a little cyano in my sump. I've read a lot of good and bads about it. What are your opinions?

So I also have been thinking of getting 2 more fish. A powder blue(juvenile) and an Achilles tang(4"). I do already have 3 tangs but I feel like I have some room to add.

Some thoughts on this ?

Back
Top Bottom