Carpet Anemone Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would encourage you to read kurt nelsons post. I wasnt refering to either of you. In response to the comments about the lfs, I agree they shouldnt have sold me the anemone. It frustrates me that there are no consistent answers about keeping animals in these miniature habitats, my comments about their carpets was they have a beautiful bow front that doesnt use metal halide and it has been alive for 3 + years. I am not trying to frustrate anyone, I just dont think mocking people as if I dont remember something I posted is not in the best interest of helping me make a decision. Sorry guys didnt mean to frustrate everyone.

You are not frustrating me. I was new once and wanted to do things my way, but quickly learned my way isn't always best.
There are some pretty consistent answers, but each animal can be very different and folks are only speaking of their experiences and opinions. The way I sort it out is go with the general consensus.
The reason for posting about merging, is to keep the forum clean and avoid confusion and double posting. I have done it many times in the past when I was new to forums.
Just hang in there and keep asking questions.
Your LFS might not have MHs but they probably have the correct lighting to keep them....hopefully.

ralphiedoodle...

Did you forget you started this thread a week ago?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/carpet-anemone-advice-102509.html

I think if you reread it, and the advice given, you'll find the answers about your carpet anemone. As you noted in your previous post, you wondered out loud if you were just wearing rose colored glasses. I guess if you don't want to take off the glasses, we can't help you! Not only is tank maturity an issue, but I think lighting is an issue also.

So this post was rude? Hmm. I'd truly appreciate it if you point out what is rude about it.

In your previous post, you said...

I don't know if I am a rookie and am wearing rose color glasses but my tank is very well filtered, it is spotless almost all the time, I have an excellent cleaner crew, I have a clown already hosting in the carpet.

If my rose colored glasses comment was taken as rude, I only made the comment because you brought it up as a possibility. My comment to go back and reread that post was because there wasn't a single person there offering you advice that you should be keeping a carpet anemone in your tank at this time. No one. But yet a week later, you ask why it's not thriving. Ignoring the advice previously given, and asking again hoping for better answers doesn't make your situation any better. To me, that's the definition of wearing "rose colored glasses!"

Just because your LFS has one surviving in a tank not under MH doesn't mean every rookie (your words, not mine) should run out and buy one. Mature tanks and years of experience probably help them a bunch.

And if you're frustrated that there's no clear cut, consistent answers in this hobby, well... sorry, but you'd better get used to it. The thing I learned quick in this hobby is that there are a lot of different ways to get the same thing done. You have to read many opinions and glean from them the truths, the half truths, and the not so truths. If you just take one person's word as gospel, you're going to run in to problems and get frustrated easily. That's really true in any hobby, really.

Like Roka said you aren't frustrating us. Believe me we have been where you are and it gets to you sometimes. A good rule to follow is to research the animal you want before you get it. Even if you have to give the LFS some money to hold onto a fish or other critter, it would be better then buying something without knowing muich about it. Most LFSs will gladly hold the animal for you and that gives you some time to learn about it. I have done this a number of times. Bottom line, read up on the different animals you like and see what you need to do to keep them happy and healthy.

I`m really thinking that no one was rude. That`s not our intention at all here. Just keep asking questions and we will do the best we can.

All i can say is I am sorry to you all that i upset you. A response to Kurt would be that i am asking what a carpet anemone's normal activity looks like. Not whether or not I should keep it. That is the only thing I was looking for. On a day to day basis what should I expect? Therefore I know if my carpet anemone is healthy or unhealthy. Maybe you should go back and read the posts. They are 2 completely different questions, I appreciate your willingness to respond and I apologize if I am creating something out of nothing but it seems to me that the comment "I guess if you don't want to take off the glasses, we can't help you!" is one of non necessity and isnt productive other than to make me feel like im an idiot because I didnt sprint to return it. I am trying to gather information and make an informed decision.

Ok..Back to the topic at hand.

If you are going to return it great. If you are going to try and keep the carpet there are a few things you will need to do.

1. Test your water weekly to determine parameters.
2. Do Weekly PWCs to eliminate any nasties.
3. Do some reading on Carpet anemones so you will know what to look for
4. Make sure that your skimmer is running and working correctly.

There are other things I'm sure but I have a screaming 2.5 yo wanting lunch.

If I decide to keep it and do water changes what percent would you reccomend?

Oh, also I should add that I have a r/o machine so I can do as much as nessecary.

Well how much really depends on what your water test look like. If you have high amounts of NitrAtes then I would do larger PWCs (20 - 25%). So the best thing to do is start a chart and test your water and keep track of the results. I would do weekly PWCs right now anyway just to keep things balanced.

Not sure if it will be much help but you may want to look for pictures on google and see if you can find some health ones to base things off of. There are also lots of videos on youtube that you may be able to see some of their normal activity. Keep in mind not all of them there are guaranteed to be happy and health but it might help to see some other people's carpets.

Back
Top Bottom