Carpet Anemone Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ralphiedoodle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, some of you helped me when my fish were fighting, now I got rid of a tang and was given a carpet anemone. I have read all of these scary things about them, will someone tell me what to expect and signs of trouble to look for. I am such a beginner I might have gotten in over my head with a carpet but I hope if I'm prepared I will be ok. Tank is a 55 gallon. Thanks

Hmmm, you should have a tank that is at least 6-9 months mature.

my tank is only a couple months old. Is there any way it would survive or should I get rid of it?

Newer tanks are still subject to water fluctuations. I'm not the pro on carpets, but if I recall, they are harder to take care of.

Kurt is correct. Other than clown fish, and even they have to be careful initially, a carpet anemone will eat any fish, shrimp or crab that contacts it.
The plus is clown fish will readily adopt a carpet anemone, as for many species, its their natural host.
The minuses are several, not the least of which they get big; very big, as in two feet in diameter plus for Stichodactyla haddoni, and up to four feet across for S. mertensii. S. gigantea is a mere 16 or 17 inches across, and thus the best species for a tank the size of the poster's 55 gallon.
They MUST have perfect natural sea water levels, as they will not tolerate a whiff of Nitrate. They will respond by shriveling up in the presence of a few PPM of Nitrate, and will quickly die unless the situation is rectified.
They also need bright, reef-like light. You can keep a carpet anemone under VHO tubes, but a halide or two wouldn't go amiss.
Without the proper lighting a carpet anemone will shrivel and die.
They also will wander until they find a spot they like, so if you keep corals with your anemone, it would be best to allow the anemone to establish itself first, before adding corals, as make no mistake, carpet anemones can really sting, and can easily kill a coral.
Each species has specific substrate needs. Haddoni needs a deep sand bed, so it can retreat if threatened, like by the hand of a fishkeeper. Gigantea attaches to hard surfaces, like a large piece of live rock that's suitably even. Mertensii likes to put its base in a crevice or hole in live rock, and spread itself over the surrounding rock.
All of them survive better in the presence of clownfish.
Carpet anemones should be fed once or twice a week. They can survive on their symbiotic algae, but experiment with different meaty sea food to see what it'll take. Needless to say, the tank must be kept scrupulously clean, so any uneaten food or offal from the anemone itself should be PROMPTLY removed.
Carpet anemones can be successfully kept, but are one of the most challenging animals to care for, even more so than the common anemones in the hobby. But they are fascinating, strangely beautiful creatures.

Dave

As the others have said they need a mature and most importantly a STABLE tank. I really dont think a couple months is long enough but keep track of your water test results and if everything is not bouncing around then you might be OK. Very good post Dave.

Wow, excellent posts guys, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate this website and all of your imput. I don't know if I am a rookie and am wearing rose color glasses but my tank is very well filtered, it is spotless almost all the time, I have an excellent cleaner crew, I have a clown already hosting in the carpet. The levels have been perfect since the tank finished cycling. My Nitrate and Nitrite have remained at 0 since the cycle, I do relatively frequent water changes. If someone could give me a quess what are the odds of the carpet living? Like 50%? Thanks again so much...

What is normal activity for a Carpet Anemone? Mine doesnt look as vigorous as it did when I first got him but I am not sure what that means? Any help?

How long has your tank been established? What are your water parameters? (the actual numbers from test kits) What kind of light do you have on the tank? How large is your tank?

Carpets are very particular about the water they are in. It has to be dang near perfect for them to be happy. Any nitrAtes and they will not be happy.

Well, I didnt take a water test last night. I am sure it is a result of my tank being to young. Its about 3 1/2 months old. The anemone is shriveling and I am afraid I need to return in. The tank is 55 gallons and the lighting is a marineland t5 HO compact flouresence? I dont know how to spell that. Ha Ha. Anyways so there you go. Should I return it.

Yes! Your tank is no where near ready for that anemone. Carpets are very tough to keep.

You shouldn't add any anemones to your tank until it is at least 8 months to 1 year old.

Carpets want good strong lighting, I wouldn't keep one without MH lighting.

easy ziggy, hes just a new comer.. what really should be done is research.. take your time with this hobby, you can get so caught up in making your tank look nice or adding something you like that you forget what is best in the long run... just do some research on things and youll find what you need to know.. but do return the carpet anemone. they also have the tendency to eat fish that get caught in them.. very very rude anemones haha

ralphiedoodle...

Did you forget you started this thread a week ago?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/carpet-anemone-advice-102509.html

I think if you reread it, and the advice given, you'll find the answers about your carpet anemone. As you noted in your previous post, you wondered out loud if you were just wearing rose colored glasses. I guess if you don't want to take off the glasses, we can't help you! Not only is tank maturity an issue, but I think lighting is an issue also.

Nice catch Kurt, you have the memory of a steel trap!

And Mike, you have the common sense to merge the threads! DOH!

Wow, to anyone who is rude guess what. I am looking for advice cause I thought thats what this was. I understand that there are truths that can be applied generally but the lfs where I bought the carpet has several in tanks without MH's. If you don't want to post a thread don't but why make me feel bad for turning to you for advice? Maybe I should find a website where the members aren't jerks?

Wow, to anyone who is rude guess what. I am looking for advice cause I thought thats what this was. I understand that there are truths that can be applied generally but the lfs where I bought the carpet has several in tanks without MH's. If you don't want to post a thread don't but why make me feel bad for turning to you for advice? Maybe I should find a website where the members aren't jerks?

I believe I answered the question that you asked. I'm sorry if you didn't like the answer I gave you but you asked about an animal that is difficult to keep for an advanced hobbist. The anemone you have does not need to be in a tank that is barely established.

Your LFS may have several carpets in tanks without MHs but they will not have them for extended periods of time either. They are there to sell not sit and grow. Frankly I'm not impressed with the LFS you went to if they sold you a carpet without asking you about your tank. They should have let you know that your tank was too young to support the carpet.

Oh and please keep the comments to yourself, no one was trying to make you feel bad or being a jerk.

Now, our recomendation is to return the carpet and allow your tank to mature. After you have had it established for 8 or more months then look at getting an anemone.

You shouldn't feel bad and I don't see any poor advice or rude comments. Remember, it is hard to judge tones on an internet forum. I have met some of the folks that have responded and know they are not being rude.
Here is a suggestion. If you feel some one is being rude or you feel bad, find some one that you trust and PM them your questions.
We are all here to help and are looking out for both you and your critters. You have asked if you should take it back and the answer has been yes because your tank is still a little young and not quite ready for your critter, thus it is closing up and not happy. One other thing, if it does die, it could take out everything in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom