carpet anemone and other corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogspawn

Aquarium Advice Freak
i was wondering if a newly introduced carpet anemone would harm my toadstool and torch coral and pulseing xenia. both my torch and toadstool are placed on the bottom of the tank and i was concerned about the roaming of the carpet anemone untill it was settle in. how can i protect my other corals?
a little history about the carpet anemone .. it was my best friends and now hes moving away and gave it to me. so now i have the task of trying to keep it alive. the lfs wont take it so it will die if i dont house it.

I think the only thing you could do is remove the corals to a QT, at least for a couple days, so the anemone hopefully settles in. Also, having them at the bottom of the tank may make them more prone to contact w/ the anemone. Carpets, in general, are more likely to roam about than most other anemones. Add to that the fact they have an extremely powerful sting, and you get the picture. Handle it w/ care, I've seen pics of some pretty nasty rahes from stings by carpet anemones. Some people are more sensitive than others. HTH

well i have a 10g i could set up for a few days if needed. i dont have a light for it except a NO light i dont even have a filter. could i move them all to the top of the tank and hope for the best? or is this asking for trouble?

Most coral can go a few days without light, so that should not be an issue. There would be no bio-load as well, as long as you don't feed the tank. Just in case though, I would throw a piece of LR in the QT w/ the coral- Can't hurt. I don't have experience w/ carpets so I'm not sure how fond they are of climbing rock work. Maybe someone w/ experience can help. Although I think not removing the coral, especially in a smaller tank like yours, may be pushing your luck. Good luck.

well i might have some luck after all i am talking to a friend of mine in VA that might trade me some sps corals and frags for him. (carpet anemone) i will get more info on this trade i hope later tonight or early tomarrow. due to that fact he will be at my home in the moring.
i hope for the best. i know my chances are slim keep this little dude healthy. so i hope or his sake it works out.

++edited++
(later in the day)

i just got off the phone with my friend and the trade is going to go through by the end of the week.
i have a chance for either 3 Acropora corals of my choice or 8-10 sps frags that i could pick from ranging from Acropora, Montipora, and Seriatopora.
what should i pick?

Back
Top Bottom