Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2003, 11:37 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

casuality?

Well, I got a little critter pack at a nice LFS. I got 15 red hermits/zebra hermits mix and 5 big mexican turbo snails. None of these crabs are getting these snail shells. I also got a coral banded shrimp because they look cool.

Anyway, they have been in the tank one day and appear to be doing well. The crabs and snails are all active. On close inspection of the tank tonight, we saw what appears to be a red crab leg/pincher. Not sure what would have done this. There are the above mentioned critters and 2 yellow tail damsels. This leg appears to be pretty big too.

The CBS is hiding out. I can see the antenna but that is it

Just wondering ...

Old 10-27-2003, 11:42 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Could be a molt, or predation, possibly a mantis shrimp.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 11:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

ok, sorry for my ignorance but will you see parts when they molt? Would a mantis shrimp have survived the tank cycle? My rock was shipped 2 day so die off was pretty significant and we have not really seen any critters from the rock. The damsels have been in the tank the longest, would they be safe against and mantis shrimp?

What about the CBS? Would it tank out a crab? Any other signs to look for?
Old 10-28-2003, 12:02 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
ok, sorry for my ignorance but will you see parts when they molt?
You will see the shell, which often times is mistaken for the crab or shrimp. after it's been in for a while the molt will be torn up and consumed by other critters.

Quote:
Would a mantis shrimp have survived the tank cycle? My rock was shipped 2 day so die off was pretty significant and we have not really seen any critters from the rock.
Yes, happens all the time. I even received a mantis in Fiji LR, which is usually kept out of water for a long time.

Quote:
What about the CBS? Would it tank out a crab? Any other signs to look for?
I doubt the CBS had anything to do with it, it's probably molting right now anyway. Acclimation could be an issue, mobile inverts should be acclimated slowly. Count your crabs...see how many you got

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 12:11 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Well, the leg has a bit of meat on the end so I am kind of leary on the molt. The weird thing is, I could not find a shell for it. I think I might have just found it, only one in the vincinity any way. I will see if it moves by morning.

As for acclimation, I followed what Drs.Fostersmith had on their site for fish and inverts.

Thanks for the tips and help.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com