Catalina Ocean water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clownin around

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering around the internet and came across a debate about Catalina Ocean water vs RO water mixed with salt mixes such as Instant Ocean. Was wondering what you all thought about this option. The website I am posting a link for has a complete listing of the chemical make up.
http://www.catalinawater.com/

Just reading what they have in the water I dont think that I would use it... It states that there is phosphates, nitrites, and nitrates.. Which is there all in part that it came from the ocean however in such a same tank compared to the ocean I would seem to think that this might lead to something back continually adding po4, no2, no3 to the tank.. As well I also noticed that it had small amounts of copper... IMO After reading the reports I wouldnt buy it...

HTH,
James

BTW thanks for the link as I was wondering about that product too every time I have seen it in the stores.. Kudos....

Thanks cj10488 ! I ran a seach on this site first to see if there was anything posted about this and I did'nt see anything. So I figured it might be a interesting subject. Just curious to see what the concensious was.
The controversy was if it might have some elements not in salt mixes that would be benifical for our tanks.
Apparently it was used by the Long Beach Public Aquarium - Aquarium of the Pacific. The Aquarium of the Pacific's weedy sea dragons are the first ever to breed successfully in captivity.
So that is what got me seaching for more info on the subject.

The amount of nitrates, nitrites and copper are extremely low and about what is normally found on a reef. Instant Ocean and other mixes normally have a bit more copper than found in the ocean. However, they do not have Nitrates, Nitrites or Ammonia and normally a very low (not readable by standard test kits) trace of phosphate. Instant Ocean is also known for have a higher than average ph levels (about 8.6 on my tests).

All that said, I still use Instant Ocean because we are talking parts per million and are are all naturally occurring in the ocean. I am sure that I am not the only one using Instant Ocean and I am not the only one successful with all types of inverts.

I could not find pricing on the Catalina water, but I do not think your fish will notice a difference between a mix and real saltwater, but you wallet might. Keep in mind that we are buy fish from all around the world and parameters that are perfect in one place could be way off another. There is not a "Perfect Solution"

Well as for pricing I have not seen here where I am but what I found is that it came to approx 1.00/per gal., according to a post from a CA aquarist on another site. Not sure if there is a regional difference.

Back
Top Bottom