caulerpa in the sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pomme

Aquarium Advice Freak
caulerpa in the sump?

is this stuff good, as i here it keeps the o2 levels at a constant level throught day and night,
and that it also gives a food source for the fish and corals?

als do you have to have a light over it, does it need to be on for 24 hourse a day?

and also what else do you need for it to grow?

please tell me aslo what you guys think of it,

and would it work on my 100 gal reef tank with a sump, i would put it in the sump, where i have got a compartment free thats about 15 cm by 30cm by 30cm, but could make it twice that size if need be?

thanx
andrew

and can it be used in conjuction with a skimmer?

and is the best substrate for it miracle mud?

and where can you buy caulerpa?

is this stuff good, as i here it keeps the o2 levels at a constant level throught day and night,
and that it also gives a food source for the fish and corals?

If lit on an opposite photo period from the main tank, or lit 24/7, it can elevate O2 levels, as far as good, I would choose a different flavor of macro algae, like chaetomorph (spaghetti algae) which doesn't go sexual.

als do you have to have a light over it, does it need to be on for 24 hourse a day?

Yes macro algae should be lit, there is some antecdoatl evidence that lighting it 24/7 will prevent (or help) prevent it from going sexual, whether this is true or not...I don't know, I don't take the chance.

and also what else do you need for it to grow?

It will require light, water and food, typically our fish and our feeding habits provide it all the food it needs.

and can it be used in conjuction with a skimmer?

Yes, and I would recommend it, the skimmer can help remove some of the tannins from the water that will make it turn yellow.

and is the best substrate for it miracle mud?

It does not require a substrate, but any reef suitable substrate will do.

Well it needs to fit ;) Make sure as it grows you pune it, if you don't prune it, your not exporting the nutirents it eats.

sure, how much is the question, but you can fit some macro in a compartment that size, I am assuming 15cm tall (or at least that much water).

yeah it would be 25cm tall, 30cm wide and 27cm long, would that be okay, and would caulerpa growin there.

also is a good substrate marine biobasement by kent marine?

Provided the area is lit, it will grow in there. The amount of space limits the amount of caulerpa that will grow, not whether it will grow ;)

I've never heard of biobasement, but again, any reef suitable substrate will work.

It has been suggested that graciliara (spelling?) may be a better macro ,as far as not going sexual, than caulerpa. I don't know for sure as I haven't tried it yet...got some ordered though. It's often marketed as "tang heaven".

yeah i really dont want one that goessexual as it would just stuff up my tank, with the nastie going back into the tank.

loganj said:
It has been suggested that graciliara (spelling?) may be a better macro ,as far as not going sexual, than caulerpa.

Very true. Gracilaria and as mentioned by reefrunner, chaetomorpha both do not go sexual and are not caulerpa species.

Cheers
Steve

Caulerpa algae need lighting for photosynthesis, nutrients (nitrate + phos) and trace elements that comes from the water.

Back
Top Bottom